Taco 22 Chain Alignment

oscart

Hello,
Just purchased a Max Torque clutch for my Taco 22 project. The Briggs 3hp engine is installed and with the new clutch, I cannot get a good alignement with the rear sprocket. I tried turning it both way and the way it is now I would need an adaptor plate to shift the engine over to the left. I don't want to drill the engine plate on the frame. Am I missing something? To get proper alignement, the clutch currently is slide about high an inch past the end of the output shaft on the engine. Hope that make sense.

Last edited:

JTG

Remove your rear wheel and reassemble without your rear wheel axle spacers. Align the rear wheel with the clutch. Cut new spacers (Sample: McMaster #89965K511). Should be dead on accurate.

oscart

The huB on the sprocket fits nicely around the wheel. I need to makup at least .250" so I am thinking of making an adaptor plate. Centering the engine a bit more would make more room for the right foot peg as well. Other minibikes like the Zebra have two sets of engine aligment holes.

Last edited:

oscart

I will measure the Tri-Star Azusa wheels which are on the bike now. I have a set of original Taco wheels which I am going to restore and compare them to the originals. With wheel centered, there is only about .250" between the frame and chain at the back so there is no room to move the wheel. It does make sense about the wheel not being centered. Anyone have a pic of a Taco 22 from the rear? I purchased mine as a frame only and don't have a reference. I will post pics in the project section. It is pretty much finished except for proper chain alignment. I may even use an adaptor plate to centre the motor over. Right now there is not a lot of space for the right foot on the peg. I know that is not original, but it will not involve drilling the motor plate. I have a nos Briggs engine adaptor plate that will work for that.

Mac

If the Azusa TriStar is used, the two piece hub/sprocket riveted or bolted together unit with the sprocket on the backside would no doubt work better than the one with the sprocket on the outside, or the pressed out crappy one.

Yes, that is a good idea. I currently have a two piece welding unit I purchased from TacoJoe. It is a quality piece that has a machined center and has the same specs as the original unit that is on my next project which is a 1967 Taco 44. But I like your idea with a two piece unit. I will give that a thought. Thanks!

Last edited:
Just did a mock-up fit of my Taco22. Same issue. I need to line it up. Is it OK to mount the clutch with the gear teeth on the inside (facing the engine)?

Hounddog

All the older original Taco 22's I have seen had the rear wheel uncentered and aligned towards the right frame tube as you sit on the bike. You should be able to cure the problem with one or more of the following, aftermarket wheels, sprocket, bolts and/or spacers...:thumbsup:

Scottessey

Hey Oscar, I had the same on mine. I couldn't live with the wheel off-center, even if it is "factory". I ended up spacing out my sprocket from the wheel so it would line up. My sprocket is a little further from the tire, but I prefer that over an off-centered wheel. I kept my clutch mounted with the gear inward. :thumbsup:

oscart

That was on my Taco 22 with the Tristar 5" wheel. It actually has a wider hub then the
6" Tristar which pushes the sprocket out even further. I kept the rear wheel centered and purchased a Briggs engine adaptor plate which I modified to offset the engine which allowed me to center the engine more ( which is nice ) without having to drill the engine plate. A Tristar 6" would not have had this problem nor would the original Taco wheel which had a narrower wheel center. Thanks Scott.