Tech carb question

I am running a Tecumseh HSSk50 with a non adjustable carb & choke. It starts up fine when I prime it 5 to 6 times, but will not idle without a quarter of choke and sometimes stalls at idle. I don't want to sound like a dumb a** but am I missing a very basic step? Bike has very good throttle when you get going but will stall at idle. Any ideas? Thanks, Owen

jrzmac

did you clean the carb? I dont know anything about those primer bulb type of carbs, but I don know they cant be adjusted. they're built so they don't need to be I think. you probly have to clean it real good and buy a repair kit and a can of carb cleaner. I also used those cans of compressed air that you use to clean a computer keyboard. check and make sure theres no air leak in between the carb and the manifold. make sure all bolts are tight! if you find a number on the engine I can find the right carb repair kit for that engine. if not I can find a generic one for a non adjustable primer type.

buckeye

what jrz said. I have been messin with one of those cabs for a 3.5. I have found them to be a pain. I am solving that isuue with a new adjustable carb. There is a little screw on the side and top by the butterfly that you can screw in. I was holding mine by hand and it seemed to help with the idle. I finally gave up and ordered a new carb. Can't wait to get it. Done with the nonadjustable junk.

Tech car question

Thanks a lot for your advice about what you think my problem is with my carb. I will work on it tomorrow. Thanks, Owen

oldfatguy

this is a problem with those carbs, the idle mixture is set so lean that they keep stalling or will idle rough. If you take the main jet out of the bottom of the carb and clean the two small holes in the side of it .The larger hole is the main jet and the real small hole higher up is the idle feed. There is also an idle jet in the side of the carb that you can take out and clean. I did have some luck with my gokart by putting a small washer on the idle jet so that it doesn't screw in all the way. With your engine running, loosen the idle jet in the side of the carb and see if it helps the idle get better. The hard part is finding a way to hold that screw where it idles good because it is made to be tightened all the way in.