Tecumseh Aftermarket Carbs

Anyone have any luck with aftermarket carbs? I have two H50's that don't seem to run right no matter what I do with an aftermarket Oregon carb I bought a few months ago. The engines run way better with an old Tecumseh H30 carb. Just wondering if I got a dud Oregon carb or they are just junk.

Thanks.

Joe

buckeye

I have one on a h35 that works perfect. I have had no trouble with it at all.
Maybe the 5 hp ones are different.:shrug:

Not on a tecumseh ...but I put an after market e-bay special on my rv-90 and ran like crap revs high and doesnt like to adjust kinda like an air leak but the hell if I can find it..

Not on a tecumseh ...but I put an after market e-bay special on my rv-90 and ran like crap revs high and doesnt like to adjust kinda like an air leak but the hell if I can find it..
Yeah, thats kind of what mine does. It's erratic no matter what you do. I have been doing some research and the Ebay carbs for Tecumseh are either Oregon or Stens and both made in China.

old-timer

Scamming Member
I just got the Stens for my 3.5 Tec and I had a hell of a time adjusting it to get the motor to run decent:shrug: I was under the impression that the Stens were the better of the aftermarket carbs, but now I'm beginning to wonder myself?

Hopefully someone will chime in and point you in the right direction. In my case I was being cheap and basically got what I paid for I guess :doah:

Vic

I currently have a Rotary model 13147 on my Briggs 5hp pressure washer & It's been running like new to this day. Of all the chinese carburetors, Rotary seems to have high quality standards and reasonable prices. Definitely my favorite aftermarket carbs.:thumbsup:

I currently have a Rotary model 13147 on my Briggs 5hp pressure washer & It's been running like new to this day. Of all the chinese carburetors, Rotary seems to have high quality standards and reasonable prices. Definitely my favorite aftermarket carbs.:thumbsup:
I just ordered a rotary for the engine, hope it works better than the Oregon.
Thanks.

Anyone have any luck with aftermarket carbs? I have two H50's that don't seem to run right no matter what I do with an aftermarket Oregon carb I bought a few months ago. The engines run way better with an old Tecumseh H30 carb. Just wondering if I got a dud Oregon carb or they are just junk.

Thanks.

Joe
If the fuel you're using has ethanol in it, you might want to try using fuel that doesn't contain it, if available in your area. In my experiences, some aftermarket carbs seem sensitive to that.....especially since they're already metered lean, to comply with EPA standards, to begin with. When you factor in the low quality of blended fuel, you get an engine that 'gallops' from running excessively lean. This is much more prevalent with Tecumseh engines.

Last edited:
If the fuel you're using has ethanol in it, you might want to try using fuel that doesn't contain it, if available in your area. In my experiences, some aftermarket carbs seem sensitive to that.....especially since they're already metered lean, to comply with EPA standards, to begin with. When you factor in the low quality of blended fuel, you get an engine that 'gallops' from running excessively lean. This is much more prevalent with Tecumseh engines.
I hadn't even considered that point you made...might be it! Here in Florida, I have not seen any fuel without ethanol lately, unless you get race fuel. The carbs say "not for fuel greater than 10% ethanol." The carbs have an adjustable main jet though, so you can run them rich if you wanted too.

I hadn't even considered that point you made...might be it! Here in Florida, I have not seen any fuel without ethanol lately, unless you get race fuel. The carbs say "not for fuel greater than 10% ethanol." The carbs have an adjustable main jet though, so you can run them rich if you wanted too.
Around here, there are a few local stations that sell it, but costs about 50 cents more per gallon. It's well worth the investment with these little engines, especially when performance is key.
Unfortunately, carbs made recently need to be EPA approved, and therefore non-adjustable, or with limiter caps.

I know this is not the for sale thread, but this is relevant to the conversation. You may have better luck rebuilding an original tecumseh carb vs buying a cheap chinese copy. Complete Rebuild kits run from $10 to $14. From my understanding you have to be careful because there are a lot of cheap chinese rebuild kits too!

I hate to rehash this same old talking point but I will. Everybody wants goods at a cheap price. And what they got was cheap goods at a cheap price. The makers of quality goods could not compete on price. They therefore have to cheapen their goods to compete or go out of business all together. so eventually what we end up is a nothing but cheap:censure.

Good used tecumseh adjustable carburetor cores for sale. $9.95 +ship. PM from details

oldfatguy

I had the same problem with a brand new Oregon carb on my h60. I couldn't get it to idle right and the side idle mixture screw didn't seem to do anything. I also found that it doesn't have a rattle from a check ball when you shake it but I don't know if it should. I found that any tecumseh carb that doesn't have that rattle won't idle.