Tecumseh / Briggs Bolt Pattern

Does anybody know...is the 4 bolt pattern for a Tecumseh and Briggs EXACTLYthe same...?

Talking like an early 70's Tec 5hp vs a Briggs 5HP.

Are small block and big block all the same ?

Last edited:
H25 thru HS50s are the same as 2-5hp Briggs. The bigger Tecumseh H40-H70 are the same also after you add the mounting plate.

That's kind of interesting actually...I wonder how they resolved to make that the standard mounting pattern since they were competitors.

Did one copy the other...B&S would have been first I assume....

G, that is an interesting question. Digging in the SAE journals, its not there. There does not seem to be an industry consortium on small engine bolt pattern standards.

Emissions and testing are well-covered topics through the EPA. OPEI gets on the safety aspects, as does OSHA. There are standards for testing the ignition strength, torque, and fuel capability, especially for generators. Riding mower, handheld, and walk behind categories all have multiple standards.

You are likely correct: Briggs created a bolt pattern, and it was copied. That 4-bolt pattern on the PTO, thread diameter and pitch, shaft diameter and length, keyway size, and fine thread in the crankshaft originated somewhere. All were copied.

The originating information is not on the Briggs site, either, just the specs.

Jon

I'm guessing the equipment manufacturers who used the engines probably played a part in standardizing the pattern, so if the contract was up, they could switch suppliers without changing their design:shrug:

Yeah I guess they figured it could only benfit them if folks could replace their damaged Birggs with a new shiny Tecumseh.

The actual footprint and pattern had to be a consideration for the many companys building power equipment, snowblowers, edgers, mowers, mixes, pumps, etc etc...

Tecumseh might have shot themselves in the foot by creating their own bolt pattern.