Tecumseh Metal Fuel Tank Restoration

This tank came off of an Tecumseh HS40 motor that was on a Powell Challenger.
The tank was badly rusted. I could see day light through the tank if I held it up to a light. Needless to say it would not hold fuel...lol

Repair was done using a 900W soldering iron and some grinding with a sand paper wheel and electric drill.

Welcome to any comments or thoughts.:thumbsup:

After repairing the holes the inside of the tank will be coated using a product called Red-Kote from DAMON products.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Last edited:
nice. what kind of solder did you use and how do you apply it?
Thanks
I used an 80 watts up to 900 degrees Heavy Duty Weller Soldering Iron.
The solder is Acid Core Metal Repair 1/8" DIA.
Start off by cleaning any surface rust from rusted area then with an exacto knife open each rust hole carefully not to make the hole to large. As you can see in the picture there where some pretty big holes to fill.
With the soldering iron heated up and the soldering area clean and ruffed up with a sanding wheel apply solder and solder iron to the area you want to repair.

Here's a picture or the tank after the solder has been applied.

After repairing the holes the inside of the tank will be coated using a product called Red-Kote from DAMON products.
I just used some RedKote on about a half dozen tanks, (funny how they all start to leak at the same time) and I have not had a chance to put any fuel in them yet- have you used this stuff before? I'm a RedKote virgin....

Nice work :thumbsup: It's sad to see those tecumseh metal tanks in bad shap like that. Would that solder hold up for powdercoating? about 400 deg for 10 mins. I have a tank just like that has a couple dings but the filler neck is screwed up from somebody using pliers to remove the gas cap :hammer:

george3

cant you do the same thing with dura glass? sand it smooth and then coat the inside with gastank re new, or any gastank coating.

Excellent work! I've used RedKote on several tanks with great success; I like to let it cure for a couple weeks before I put gas in, tho......:thumbsup:

I bet that tank was leaning all its life with bad gas in it. How the hell does the rust go through in the middle of the tank? I have a nice metal tank just like that and luckily its mint inside and out side.

I just used some RedKote on about a half dozen tanks, (funny how they all start to leak at the same time) and I have not had a chance to put any fuel in them yet- have you used this stuff before? I'm a RedKote virgin....
Mark I'm a Red-Kote virgin as well I do know the inside of the tank has to be really clean. Rinsed out with MEK :thumbsup:

Nice work :thumbsup: It's sad to see those tecumseh metal tanks in bad shap like that. Would that solder hold up for powdercoating? about 400 deg for 10 mins. I have a tank just like that has a couple dings but the filler neck is screwed up from somebody using pliers to remove the gas cap :hammer:
R81 not sure about the melting point of the solider I used but I'm sure you can get it in different temp ranges or go with a 2 part epoxy resin based product.
Let us know what you find out and what you use.

BAB--Good catch: I forgot to mention that a THOROUGH rinsing with MEK is the answer for pre-coating cleanliness !! Just like shampooing: rinse & repeat ! LOL!!:thumbsup:

BAB--Good catch: I forgot to mention that a THOROUGH rinsing with MEK is the answer for pre-coating cleanliness !! Just like shampooing: rinse & repeat ! LOL!!:thumbsup:
Yep, dual rinsed with plenty of MEK, and the RedKote has been drying for about a week now, maybe I'll get around to putting in some gas today-I'm sure it will work great:thumbsup: