tecumseh rebuild and restoration

Run to walmart and grab a cheap craftsman tool set, you will need it if you plan on owning anything with an engine/moving parts.

Im with Boomstick on this one.

They are crazy simple.. it looks alot more complicated than it is! Give it a try before you spend $$$$ at a shop. Worse comes to worse and you find its not something you can do.. take it to the shop! atleast you could say you tried.

fistfullabar

Just looking at what ya got, being in FLA it's whole life, that thing has GOT to run.. That same pipe here in michigan with just rain and snow outside, no thick slat in the air, would have that muffler about rusted off by now..

If it was ever drivin off the paved driveway the front of the engine would be sprayed with salt and sand from the front wheel.. :shrug: Sure looks INCREDIBLY clean to me, for a 45 year old backyard little kids dirtbike engine.. :mellow:
yeah think it sat around more then it was rode:thumbsup:still factory new paint everywhere has the rubber boot over the jackshaft spring i think someone crashed it once and put it away slept on the power of the 400 series driver wish i knew the history on this bike

markus

um make model hp thats what im looking for im sure it will fire up this is gonna be part of a resto so i want to be as nice as possible but i want new gaskets and i gotta rebuild the carb

that engine is a lighted HS40, there is a riveted tag on front lower side of the shroud, or at least there should be one there. If the shroud is the original-questionable due to condition shown in one of your pics, but it is a correct lighted engine/tilted engine shoud as it has studs instead of bolt for the pull start and they are in the correct location so the pull handle sits correctly.

the engine also looks Correct for tilted application as the front oil fill hole is not there. I would pull the driver off to see if it is a Ball bearing supported crank and length of shaft.

fistfullabar

thanks markus riveted tag is gone but i see where it was once i pull of the driver how long should it be and how will i know if it is ball bearing supported?

markus

thanks markus riveted tag is gone but i see where it was once i pull of the driver how long should it be and how will i know if it is ball bearing supported?

engine on the left is a longshaft bearing supported, right is not. see how the one on the left has a very large shaft seal, you have to pop that out and pull a c clip of the crank BEFORE you can pull the sidecover off. For this era of engine the seals are usually these 2 sizes.

While most longshafts Should be bearing supported, they are not. I know the 2 1969 longshaft engines I have had off of Fox bikes were bushing, but all my rupp bikes (1970 and up) were bearing. I am not sure if that has to do with the year and Tec updating in 70, or if that was how they companies ordered them from Tec :shrug: I've never had any other titled engine bikes other than the foxes and rupps that were complete originals.

Longshaft is 2 7/8" to the step short is 2 1/4"

Only real importance to this far as redoing the engine, long as the "hard" parts are good, is knowing the correct numbers for the seals and of course not trying to pry a BB sidecover off without removing the clip as so many people do :doah:

figure out the sidecover config and I can give you engine numbers to use for ordering the parts you need from engines I have here.

you're in Florida right? so I would imagine there has to be a lawnmower repair place somewhere nearby.... check the yellow pages! if you can get it off the bike, they will work on it. they wont touch it if it's on a minibike so don't even mention what you need it for! they might not do it.
I'm just curious about this statement. Recently a guy I know locally had found a mini bike and wanted to get the engine running. The guy at the shop told him he wouldn't work on it but I did not hear why not. Is there a reason the small engine shops won't work on a mini bike engine? I don't need to take anything to them, it's just a curiosity for me.

I'm just curious about this statement. Recently a guy I know locally had found a mini bike and wanted to get the engine running. The guy at the shop told him he wouldn't work on it but I did not hear why not. Is there a reason the small engine shops won't work on a mini bike engine? I don't need to take anything to them, it's just a curiosity for me.

I almost imagine they're thinking it may be a liability issue. With something like a mini bike, I kind of don't blame them. With as scummy as a lot of people are nowadays, someone might lay the bike down or go ass-over-teakettle on it, and then turn around & try to sue the closest thing they can to get a few bucks out of it.

I'd just bring the "lawnmower" engine in, off of the "mower". :wink:

um make model hp thats what im looking for im sure it will fire up this is gonna be part of a resto so i want to be as nice as possible but i want new gaskets and i gotta rebuild the carb

I say get it to pop, and then rig up a fuel delivery system (i.e. a tank & a section of line). If it runs fine, don't touch it.

Sometimes taking things apart can cause more trouble than needed. If she runs A-OK as is, just paint it to taste & take care of it.

jrzmac

I almost imagine they're thinking it may be a liability issue. With something like a mini bike, I kind of don't blame them. With as scummy as a lot of people are nowadays, someone might lay the bike down or go ass-over-teakettle on it, and then turn around & try to sue the closest thing they can to get a few bucks out of it.

I'd just bring the "lawnmower" engine in, off of the "mower". :wink:
Exactly! liability issues. they will not work on a minibike. I was told so by the local lawnmower shop. they might work on just the engine? I guess it cant hurt to ask. I'm pretty sure they're afraid that if you take a dump on a minibike and break your ass, you'll turn around and sue the shop for getting the engine working!!!

Exactly! liability issues. they will not work on a minibike. I was told so by the local lawnmower shop. they might work on just the engine? I guess it cant hurt to ask. I'm pretty sure they're afraid that if you take a dump on a minibike and break your ass, you'll turn around and sue the shop for getting the engine working!!!
Pretty much that. They're also worried about soccermoms or hoochie-mommaz having irresponsible little Jr. haul ass on the thing, screw themselves up, and then sue.

And when it comes to a kid getting hurt, judges unfortunately don't look at it as a case of "you should've been looking out for your kid", instead it's "OMG DA PO' LIDDLE BAY BAY BAD EVIL MACHINE & BAD MAN FO' MAKIN' IT GO"