The White Knuckle Scramble!

Pre-Registration is open for the June 29 race.
Home Page

$30 to pre-register ($40 on the 29th), plus you'll get a higher pole position than late-registrants and you'll get $5 off an event shirt.

Please read the rules. Just like most races (including The Thunderdrome), helmets, jackets, etc are required.

I was getting around to that! Ive had bad internet connections all weekend.

I think our Sept. 14 race will have a lot of racers. This one seemed to conflict with a lot of family events for people, and a lot of people waited to the last minute to try to fix their vehicles and find helmets and whatnot.

We had a lot of karts, but many of them seemed to have mechanical problems. I took my kart (Simplex Mark II) out once for 10+ laps and the chain lossened up. We shimmed up the engine, and I made 1.5 laps and threw the chain.

Another kart's (Go Boy) motor seized after about 5 laps. I had a spare that he had just gotten swapped in when the storms hit. Another guy had a nice Dart Kart with a chromed, rebuilt WB 820 that he was having carb trouble with. He finally got it running and pulled onto the track just as the rain started. Another guy brough a trailer with 10 vintage karts and spent all morning cleaning and prepping them. He pulled into the hot grid right as the rain came... and so on.

2 minibikes went down hard on the same corner. One almost hit the wall. No one was hurt, but there was some scraped skin. Both said they would come back with thicker jackets in September! :)

We still got 4 hours of racing in. It misted and sprinkled off and on which made the track even more fun... then it POURED at around 2 and didn't let up until after 4. I didn't get too many pics because I was busy racing and having fun. I don't know too much about minibikes, but I'll comment where I can.

My Pit Crew!

The black mini is all electric. On a slow day it hits 45mph in the straights. The rider has to lean over the handle bars when it starts or the bike will flip.

My kart performed admirably. I got it buttoned up at about 10pm the night before the race. I definitely have a few bugs to work out, especially with the brakes and chain alignment... and I definitely want a 2nd engine. :) There was also a dual engined Mac kart there, but I didn't get a pic of it, and a couple a few Margays, at least one was a Panther X.

Oh yeah, the track had no problem with the noise that was coming out of my 580 or the WB 820 that was there, and we were by far the loudest things at the track. A 3-engined kart running onn alcohol was there the weekend before us and was allowed to run... so your noise concerns are invalid. :)

Margay.

More of my crew... Grumpy Spider was drawn by one of my daughters (the one in the background)

That's my kart on the right and a recently CL purchased Margay on the left

The Dart with the WB820 troubles

Me looking like an extra on the Mad Max set

We had 20-25 racers evenly split between karters and minibikers. Not too bad for a first event and the weatherman calling for 65% thundershowers all day. If you want to see videos, check out our Facebook page.

Mark your calendars for September 14, 2013. Based on what I've been hearing I think we're going to have a really big turnout then

looks like its gonna be a blast. Are kids allowed to ride too? will there be anything else goin on during the event? Do we have to have vintage minis?

Details:
Saturday, September 14, 2013
Concept Haulers Motor Speedway
Norway, IL (about 1 hour from Chicago)

VINTAGE karts and minis ONLY!! We're defining vintage up to 1984, and there are some brand new minis that look just like old minis, and that would be OK.

Full rules and details at:
Home Page

$40 pre-registration, or $50 on race day
$13 for a hot grid pass (pit crew)
$5 "premises pass" allows you to walk around the pits and watch the races, but you can't go on the hot grid or track.

Truckfreek - Anyone is allowed to watch, but it's a race, not a show/swap. Although, at the June practice we had a couple of guys selling stuff. Maybe we'll have an impromptu swap meet next month.

We're going to let kids 13-17 race in their own class, but if fewer than 5 want to race, they'll be racing with the adults. Their parents will have to sign waivers for them, and they will be placed at the back of the pack, and there will be some power limitations. I need to get this up on the website.

The track has a great concession stand, otherwise there isn't much to choose from in the town.

Camping is allowed at the track. FREE! If you need an electric hook-up it will be $10 though. There are a lot of hotel choices about 15 minutes away in Morris, IL

Yes, you need safety equipment to race. If you think that racing isn't serious and you can't get hurt racing a tiny-engined vehicle, just ask the 2 minibikers that wiped out at our June practice race. They both said that they wished they had been wearing leather. :)

The safety rules are pretty simple, and are required and enforced by the track.
You must have:
An abrasion-resistant jacket (leather, denim, etc)
Pants of durable material (leather, denim, etc)
Full-finger gloves
Closed-toe shoes
A full-face helmet with a Snell rating of 2005 or 2010. If you don't have one, the track rents them for $5/day. I see them on ebay for as little as $20, but usually $50-120 if you want your own to personalize.
A neck brace. The track rents them for $5/day. I bought one from Summit for about $20

Tech inspection will consist of checking you for the above stuff, and you will have to demonstrate that your vehicle has working brakes and steering. The rest of the tech is up to YOU to make sure YOUR vehicle is safe.

:D

Crash #1 from the June race

Awesome.. Thanks for the info Hellfish. I appreciate it very much. I think this year we are going to be spectators and check out all the rides. my bike is so not ready lol.. I like the sound of a swap meet. I havent herd of any thing like that around the area and I need lots of parts and tires.