This better not interrupt my mini career...

buckeye

Packmule,you tore the proximal biceps. Gumpit,the distal.
Bet you have a rotator cuff tear also. Those go hand in hand usually.

motocycle

Randy,
Sorry to hear of your accident.

Speaking from experience, I hope they diagnose the problem correctly and fix it completely. I had a rotator cuff injury, and they just seemed to dick around with it. I still have problems; mostly sleeping on that shoulder.

Good Luck with this.

motocycle

i did pretty much the same thing to my biceps. both of them, at work exactly 1 year aprt. what a treat. surgery on both. first was my left arm. real smooth as far as an injury goes. surgery, outpatient. arm was in a cast for 3 weeks. sleeping was a bitch. didnt get much. ambien helped out there. once cast came off, physical therapy started. 80 days after the injury, i was back to work.

when my right arm went, i did an ass load of damage to it. burned a pole about 8 feet down, and my arm got hung up on a pole step, and tore the crap outta the muscle. dr had to do some kind of surgery to repair the muscle and reattach it to the bone. i dont know what he did, i build power lines for a living. anyways, i was out of work for 9 months. my right arm took a substantial amount of time to recover and rebuild. its been 3 years, and its still not 100% and i dont as well as my doctor, think it ever will be. im still able to work, but i lost a significant amount of strength in my right arm, and mobility as well. i cant wait to get older. the arthritis should be a real kick in the ass. my elbows already hurt like hell when its cold out, so the next 30 years ought to be real treat.

i hope you have my left arm experience. it was smooth, easy, and my left is good to go. my right, not so much.

i have the matching scars on the inside of my elbows.

best of luck to you.

Well so far I can tell you this.
2 Vicodin and a Naproxen and I slept like a baby. I wore the sling most of the day with hardly any pain other than trying to get dresses and buttoning my pants and putting my belt on(note to self: put belt on pants before putting pants on) this morning. Unzipping and zipping was a little tough when I had to go the bathroom. Then my buddy needed help changing about 120 eight foot bulbs in the horse riding ring. I moved the bucket truck and handed him the bulbs. Wasn't too bad other than trying to pass them up to him in the bucket. DEFINITELY bruising today and only sharp pain in certain movements. I can definitely deal with this until the MRI to see what is next. No rest for the weary. This should be interesting though...
Thanks for the comments and stories.... any information on what I may be in for is appreciated....... And I will be at Winber if I have to have Buckeye chauffeur me around in a little red wagon.....

search tore my bicep on this site, i tore mine at windber this year , black and blue from elbow to shoulder, and a popeye bicep ached like hell ,still does at times, i just got insurance back so i went to docs he scheduled a mri, it seems to be recovering i baby it a little if i dont it aches and i start to show some bruising near my shoulder, overhead or arm extended work is the worst also using a screwdriver realy sucks
I guess this answers my question......what happens if you just leave it as is .(not suggesting you do)....will it try to heal itself :confused:....what did they do 100 years ago if this happened ..:shrug:

buckeye

The bicep will contract or pull the tendon up towards the shoulder eventually scaring down.
If it is not fixed he will lose strength and the ability to turn his hand palm up and down. He can be it will be weak.
Me personally, if it was me in the job I do, I am not sure I would fix mine. I don't do heavy lifting unless it is some land whale.
Listen to what your doc suggests. If it is still partially attached it may be ok.

When you get the MRI results if you can, scan the report. I can tell more from that. But, we don't operate on someone on report only. You have to take into concideration the clinical exam as well.
Make sure they don't send ya to a hack orthopaedic surgeon.

delray

gumpit
And I will be at Winber if I have to have Buckeye chauffeur me around in a little red wagon.....
buckeye, i can bring the wagon for you and it's real easy to pull around(electric power)......:laugh:

CarPlayLB

I ruptured my right biceptal tendon 2 1/2 years ago ...sounds exactly like what you described. Hurt a bit when it happened, bicept in my armpit, but not too much pain...real ugly lookin though! Had the surgery to have it reattached. Called the surgeon the day before the surgery...asked him if I would be out 3 or 4 days...he tells me 4-6 weeks. I call BS on that, had the surgery...don't remember the first four weeks after! the pain was intense (and I fancy myself to have a high threshold of pain)...doc screwed up the nerve and I still am having issues with pain, ROM, and numbness in my fingers...it is a pain...do the surgery to get yourself whole, but also get an attorney...which I hate to say, but you will get a different level of care! I found out the hard way!