Thread of current status of Tecumseh Engine Manufacturer?

Friends,
I read on another lawn mover website that Tecumseh Products Company filed for bankruptcy in 2007, sold-off the engine division to be renamed Tecumseh Power. And I read that Tecumseh Power ceased manufacturing engines in Fall 2008. On Wikipedia, I read that Tecumseh Products Company manufactures only compressors for air conditioners these days.

Has all Tecumseh engine manufacturing ended completely? If another American small engine company has gone out of business, that is a sad story.
I will be sad to see Tecumseh disappear, an all too common story for American manufacturing companies. And I guess that leaves only Briggs & Stratton and Kohler.

Could everyone share here what they know about the current status of Tecumseh engines?
What companies are still building replacement parts for Tecumseh engines?

I realize that the 10,000 of us on OldMiniBike.com can't save the world, but it would be nice if we could help save some American small engine companies.

Last edited:

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
Only place to get parts is ebay, ARC sells a couple parts, and Dare, Batman, and VKE. I haven't talked to any of these guys in years.

Certified Parts group in Janesville Wisconsin Bought the all the Tecumseh's parts and a engine plant here in USA. I do not know when parts will become availible from CRP or what they plans are for the engine plant. I ordered some parts from them awhile ago and that is what they told me.

A lot of people poo poo Tecumseh's but I had a Toro mower that went 23 years of hard use without maintenance. (wasn't into small engines back then) The carb was never touched it rarely saw a oil change or a new plug and always fired up on the first or 2nd pull. The body wore out around the engine so I put it down (running). Took the head off and the cylinder was still good and it didn't smoke.

I fired up an old Tec and rode two more yesterday.Their carbs could have been a better design for old gas but they are good engines that are light and compact.

Also Tecumseh,s Peerless transmissions were bought by Bombardier If I remember correct.
I did a search on the internet:
Marketplace Today Blog - Tecumseh sells its Peerless transmission business

Marketplace magazine states that Tecumseh Peerless transmission was sold to Husqvarna Outdoor Products.

I was hoping some day, some company, such as Peerless would produce a multi-speed transmission that could be bolted up to a Briggs or Tecumseh engine, to give the option of having a multi-speed gear shift minibike.

!!!

I just recently purchase a 5hp Tecumseh Power Sports engine for my new mini bike.All i can say is i'm glad i did.This motor is everything i hoped for.For the money i paid for this brand new out of the box engine-its great.I would have liked to get get a B&S engine-but they are way to expensive for what i was gonna use it for.If your in the market for a new engine-I would highly recommend a Tecumseh.Enough said!!!

Price of 5 HP Tecumseh?

I just recently purchase a 5hp Tecumseh Power Sports engine for my new mini bike.All i can say is i'm glad i did.This motor is everything i hoped for.For the money i paid for this brand new out of the box engine-its great.I would have liked to get get a B&S engine-but they are way to expensive for what i was gonna use it for.If your in the market for a new engine-I would highly recommend a Tecumseh.Enough said!!!
Hi Riderz,
Nice looking engine.
Yes, as long as parts are available, there is no reason not to use a Tecumseh engine. How much do you pay for the engine? I think I would prefer a Tecumseh over a Chinese clone of the same HP.

Certified Parts group in Janesville Wisconsin Bought the all the Tecumseh's parts and a engine plant here in USA. I do not know when parts will become availible from CRP or what they plans are for the engine plant. I ordered some parts from them awhile ago and that is what they told me.
Yes this is correct. I was down there a few weeks ago and asked the same question. They bought the entire company, hundreds of truckloads of stock, and all 3 plants, including the one in Brazil. They bought EVERYTHING. :thumbsup:
I asked them how to get parts, they told me they can sell what they (Certified parts corp.) had in stock before they bought Tecumseh. Not too much, but they do have a lot.
Under an agreement from the purchase they can only sell to regional distributors, who in turn sell to small engine shops. They cannot sell the parts retail, but the GOOD news is you will still be able to go down to your local small engine shop and order what you need, providing CPC has it in stock. I personally laid eyes in one of their warehouses and it was huge, wall to wall and floor to ceiling Tec. parts and engines.
Also with the purchase of the company they bought all of the tooling and manufacturing rights so they will be able to reproduce parts if there is enough demand.
All of this is good news. I was told it may take them a little while to get everything in order and up and running again, but genuine Tecumseh parts will be available for years to come. :thumbsup:
A good source for genuine parts is M&D Mower in Ohio.

Last edited:
Hi Riderz,
Nice looking engine.
Yes, as long as parts are available, there is no reason not to use a Tecumseh engine. How much do you pay for the engine? I think I would prefer a Tecumseh over a Chinese clone of the same HP.
The 6HP's could be had for $172 shipped (as winning bids) on e-bay from small engine warehouse. This one is a "buy it now". 6hp Tecumseh Engine 3/4 Enduro Recoil Go-Kart OHH60 - eBay (item 110406421050 end time Jul-23-09 13:59:12 PDT)

Heres a place with free shipping too. @$209 OHH60-71216E 6 HP Tecumseh Powersport Engine

Hers one new for $149 + shipping. https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2009050208520262&item=28-1679&catname=engines

It pays to shop around or ask here. I've found them as low as $25 used.