Timmy's Taco Frijole Build

Here is the Taco so far......I removed the 79cc Greyhound from my Orange Sprite to see if it would fit. As you can see,it JUST fits. The mounting plate will need additional holes drilled,and a header will be needed,but it will work. This little engine has a surprisingly good amount of power,and with this itty bitty frame will go really well. The 5.5 Carroll Stream I originally wanted to use was WAAAAY too big. I could have removed the tank and used a header,but I couldn't get my feet around it. Of course,if you change the 5 degree engine plate to a flat one,more engine choices are available,but I wanted to keep it as-is. More to come.....

That looks like it will work. I'll be looking for some pointers:thumbsup: I also have a project log going called, "monster taco Frijole" good luck with the build.:thumbsup:

Thanks for the kind words.....
There don't seem to be too many 4 cycle engines that will fit-it is really tight in there. Clones and some Briggs and Tecumsehs will work if you remove the tank and use a header,but anything over 99cc will be hard to get your right foot around to ride safely. Of course,you could attach new pegs,but in my opinion,that compromises the authenticity of the original design. I did happen to notice that you can put your heels on the front of the frame loop,if you absolutely have to use a bigger engine. This frame was obviously designed to use a 2 cycle,but really good ones are hard to find (at least for me)and I like clones because you just start 'em and go. Flattie Briggs and Tecumsehs have interference issues with the spark plug and frame top tube. That was one reason why the Monster Frijole,like mine, tilts the engine plate 5 degrees. It's a challenge,but that's half the fun........

I just measured the frame from the engine plate to the bottom of the top tube-it is 10 1/4" in the rear and 11 1/2" in the front. Tight,indeed. Little engines are the way to go.....Big ones will work,but with a bit of compromise.

BWC54

I just measured the frame from the engine plate to the bottom of the top tube-it is 10 1/4" in the rear and 11 1/2" in the front. Tight,indeed. Little engines are the way to go.....Big ones will work,but with a bit of compromise.
Thanks. That is tight. It doesn't look that small in pictures.

Here is a Briggs I have had in my garage for several years.Someone told me it is an old 3 hp off of a Bolens pump of some sort. I have the tank and carb as well-but no flywheel or ignition. It turns and has good compression. But it does not fit on the Frijole-the cylinder head touched the bottom of the top tube. So I took off the 99cc Predator from my Efenel Gerand Prix Deluxe-it fit right on as soon as I removed the bottom adapter plate,and installed the 79cc Greyhound gas tank (direct swap!!!). My sincerest apologies to the Taco purists out there who prefer a Briggs Or Tecumseh flattie-but I know the 99cc will make this thing really scoot.

I really like the little 99cc predator because of its tiny sixe. there really isnt many engines that are that short. without the tank they are like 9.5" or so I think. And I think harbor freight discontinued it iv been meaning to get down there to buy one or two if they have any left

Here is the Taco so far......I removed the 79cc Greyhound from my Orange Sprite to see if it would fit. As you can see,it JUST fits. The mounting plate will need additional holes drilled,and a header will be needed,but it will work. This little engine has a surprisingly good amount of power,and with this itty bitty frame will go really well. The 5.5 Carroll Stream I originally wanted to use was WAAAAY too big. I could have removed the tank and used a header,but I couldn't get my feet around it. Of course,if you change the 5 degree engine plate to a flat one,more engine choices are available,but I wanted to keep it as-is. More to come.....
Someone said the slanted plate was for a 6.5hp engine however I believe they meant to use a remote tank and header. Does a 6.5hp fit without it's tank?:shrug:

The 212cc Predator will fit without the tank-and you must use a header as well.
(Which most builders would use anyway,it seems). The only problem is foot placement-it's just a big motor on a little frame. If you can comfortably and safely put your feet somewhere while riding it,you're okay. I got my 5.5 Carroll Stream to fit when I removed the tank and exhaust-but I had to put my feet on the front frame loop. Some people will find this acceptable-it's just a matter of what you are willing to do to ride it.....

Timmy's Frijole Update

I finally got the Frijole seat-looks nice!!!! Today I plan to drill the engine mounting holes while everyone else is sleeping off Thanksgiving dinner........After that,I'll preassemble the whole mess....Then more photos.....Then it's off to the paint booth. I haven't yet decided on a frame color.

Here are the new mounting holes for the Predator-thanks to my brother Frank who does much better work than myself. When I try this kind of stuff,it looks like Homer Simpson did it.....Now the 99cc directly bolts to the plate without the adapter plate,which raised the engine up about 1/2" and wouldn't clear. Of course,the adapter plate was used as the template for the holes.
The frame is now being painted Rustoleum Sunrise Red with about 3 coats of clear,as is the gas tank. For now I will use 6" white steel wheels until I recover financially from the holidays and put on some 5-spoke Astros.

Monster Frijole Update!!

Here is the Frijole so far. I decided to use a set of 5" Tri Stars that I had on another bike.The rear axle is about 8 1/2" long,so it's off to the hardware store. The 99cc engine is finished-a new header with a muffler is in the works. Future mods include a Taco chain guard that fits a clutch brake. Can't wait to ride this thing!!