To be or not be?...The life or death of a mini bike.

Hello all,

I have been working on a Broncco T/C-4 for a while now. It looks great and has a lot of things going for it, and the engine is strong. I really love this minibike.

Yet, as I get further along in re-assembling it, my nightmares are becoming more of a reality.

I didn't notice the extent of frame damage to this bike when I bought it, but I have already paid for some frame repairs, but it seems like the forks are just out of whack and it was a major undertaking to get the front wheel on and now the shocks do not move freely, too much tension from bent forks(they don't look bad) the machine shop said there is not much they can do to fix the forks without breaking them or causing a misalignment somewhere else on them to fix what is already out of whack.

Yesterday,a cast part of the dellorto carb just crumbled when I was dissembling it.

I have way over spent my budget, I have invested more time than I ever imagined most of the time spent was mixed with a lot of anxiety and few realized victories, except for the day I got the engine running.

So I find my self on the verge of trying to shove forward, spend more money and time or cut my losses and part it out. With each recent set back, parting it out seems more and more appealing...

thoughts? :confused::crying:

setbacks on reassembly always make you want to give up! dont do it man. push through and get it done. Another bike will give you trouble too. Its just part of restoration.

Here are some,

As I said, it looks great(at least to me). I bought it, stripped it down, sandblasted, cleaned, painted, repaired the engine, etc.

In a perfect world I could re-assemble it and ride off into the sunset. Now that I am reassembling and need everything to be in working order I keep hitting major roadblocks. Roadblocks that are more and more money to resolve, not to mention major buzz kills.

45t

Keep plugging away. It will be that much sweeter when you overcome the challenges with the build. Just remember that each challenge is a chance to learn more about how to do the hobby and create a network of people and vendors that can help you in the future with other builds. Because it will not end with just one build, there are more mini bikes out there that need restored.:laugh:

Hello all,
I have way over spent my budget, I have invested more time than I ever imagined most of the time spent was mixed with a lot of anxiety and few realized victories, except for the day I got the engine running.
thoughts? :confused::crying:
Isn't that a given for this crazy hobby?:laugh:
Sounds like one of OUR typical projects!:laugh:
Don't even think about quiting (i.e., parting it out)- FINISH IT!!:thumbsup:
Michael

toomanytoys

Isn't that a given for this crazy hobby?:laugh:
Sounds like one of OUR typical projects!:laugh:
Don't even think about quiting (i.e., parting it out)- FINISH IT!!:thumbsup:
Michael

I dont see a problem here. Every bike ive ever done I go over budget. Now I just say if I can do it under 2 grand then im happy when its less!

buckeye

Then when it's done, ride it and something breaks. Then you get to fix that. But, it's easier the second time. It's mini bikes. And it's always someyhing. Stick with it.:thumbsup:

Neck

Growing up is optional
Budgets? We don't need no stinking budgets! You've come so far, it would seem such a shame not to see it through to the end. Besides it looks really great. However it would seem to me the head is on backwards.

When I take on a project like this, I do not keep track of what is spent.

I look at it as I am having fun and enjoying the ride to come.

I have two projects now. A Heald Super Bronc that was not even a roller, and a TrailHorse with even less going for it. I plug at it a little at a time, and I know they will get done eventually.

No time to quit when you are this close!

See if a set of forks can be procured for a reasonable price and press on, the carb parts are available I bet too. Cars and minibikes are equally tough on a restorer's pride and wallet, it's why I stopped restoring cars and never started restoring minibikes but I have not ruled out finding a complete minibike to restore one day if my health holds out that long. I have redone a few but did not paint original colors and changed engines although I have every original part for the bikes. I even have parts bikes for a couple of bikes because if damaged I'd spend a mint trying to buy one part for some I have.

Sounds like you took a bit of a beating so far and many of us have been there, stop now and all $ and time spent thus far is wasted. Italian stuff is not the easiest to work on but it is merely a machine and can be fixed, try Glenn Baine a member here to see if he can help you some. He's a heck of a nice fellow and a true minibiker like so many here, bet he can at least point you in the right direction.:thumbsup:

toomanytoys

When I take on a project like this, I do not keep track of what is spent.

I look at it as I am having fun and enjoying the ride to come.

I have two projects now. A Heald Super Bronc that was not even a roller, and a TrailHorse with even less going for it. I plug at it a little at a time, and I know they will get done eventually.

No time to quit when you are this close!
This is the way to go. I usually gather parts slowly. 10 bucks here, 50 bucks here, 25 bucks here.

Don't get in a hurry, just enjoy the project. And buy parts when you have the cash and the are available.

I just had the head sitting on there for the pic, and yes it was backwards haha!

Well I have decided that I can't let go of this minibike. Slow and steady...

I am going to call in a relief pitcher to get me over a few bumps. There is a really good custom restore/refurbish guy in town. I am going to have him look into a few of the major set backs I had that might be out of my league.

The carb parts I was able to find from a site in the UK, but the prices aren't bad and they ship to USA

So hopefully it is to be.

Well I have decided that I can't let go of this minibike. Slow and steady...

I am going to call in a relief pitcher to get me over a few bumps. There is a really good custom restore/refurbish guy in town. I am going to have him look into a few of the major set backs I had that might be out of my league.

So hopefully it is to be.
Somewhere here I express simular disconcerting thoughts concerning an old go-kart. Frame needed complete rebuild, blah blah, way out of my league, way over budget, and not worth my time, and the challenges just made me lose interest and focus. I got some mental help and attitude readjustment, (comments here and beer) and made it over the hump.

Just saying we've all been there, and when we finally win, that good feeling beats out all the crap we took getting there. (Even though we may be broke for awhile)

And that is one bike that deserves the attention yer giving it.