Today's father/son ride

joekd

Went riding with my son today, were in the wood a few miles and stopped for a break, tried to get off the trail and my son's chain on his kart snaps, turns out he rode right up on a rock, didn't realize it and thinking it was just dirt he floored it, pop goes the chain

Another fun rescue towing my trailer into the woods but got it home and will pick up a new chain tomorrow

joekd

The worst part is we hadn't even hit any mud yet, was all dirt/gravel up to that point, we were just taking a quick drink break then we were heading into the rough stuff

Came home and I already had spare 40 chain, just no master link so I cant fix it until tomorrow

That's why the make dirt bikes and quads, so you can go riding in the woods, through mud, and over rocks. Even the smaller cc dirt bikes and quads are good for this type of riding. Minibikes and karts aren't designed for woods riding, At best, maybe cow pasture riding. I learned this while riding with my son. We graduated to dirt bikes and quads, and had many great fun rides. :thumbsup:

joekd

Keep in mind we aren't really riding mini's

This is mine (have since upgraded to a more agressive tire and added front brakes

This is what he was on

Both have seen hours of mud and rocks, this was actually and easy day of riding on a graded dirt/gravel surface, just an unseen rock and an honest mistake

joekd

Thanks!

I got the new chain ready to go on the kart and while I was in there gave the belt a good look and found several cracks from age. Not taking a chance on it breaking so I ordered a new belt which should be here when I get back from vacation. Figure I will just take the TAV all the way apart, clean, lube then reassemble with the new belt.