Tom Thumb Micro Minibike project in France

Hello,

I'm from France and I'm actually building a Tom Thumb Minibike following the plans published in Popular Mechanics in 1970. I've discovered this minibike while surfing on internet. I saw this project and thought it was so cool that I had to build one.

In Europe I've never seen any O&R engine for sale and I wonder if they have ever been sold over here. I'm fitting a pocket bike engine to my Tom Thumb as it's very cheap and compact.

At the moment, my Tom Thumb is not finished but it should be finished next weekend or so.

I'll put some pictures asap.

Thanks for reading,

Steed :smile:

buckeye

And the French are repping.
Welcome to OldMiniBikes.
Wow, you a long way from Alabama. And it's not true. We don't marry our cousins.

Ok, let's start!

The wheels:

The pocket bike engine (Approximately 50€ on eBay)

The frame is made from 5/8 tubes

The frame is very small

Next to my VanVan replica, it looks so small!

To be followed... :wink:

I was looking for a round and small petrol tank but didn't find what I wanted. The few ones on eBay were too big, or in very poor condition, or very expensive. The best way to get the most appropriate petrol tank was to build it myself.
I've used a small tin can (!!!) to build it.

And once welded

And once finished!

Time to fit the engine has arrived. The original pocket bike exhaust is completely modified and shortened!

Oh, I forgot to show the petrol tank fitted... :wink:

That's all for today. If I can work on it tomorrow, more pictures will follow. :thumbsup:

Welcome to OldMiniBikes, what are the chances of fitting a Peugeot motor in a frame like that. I was stationed in Bermuda(US Navy) and rode a Peugoet 104 to/from work. I think that setup Peugeot used on their moped would work nicely on a mini bike. What do you think?

Yes, I think it could fit. Buying a Peugeot engine was a solution but there's a variator which takes quite a lot of space compared to the size of this bike. And I wanted my Tom Thumb to be as close as possible from the original look.
As a brand new pocket bike engine cost only 50€ and is as compact as an O&R engine, it was easier to use it.

The original

Mine