Tonights Rupp find came with an added Bonus!

markus

Headed down south this afternoon to pick this original and complete, but not in good shape (dammit) 1975 Rupp roadster II up. I have to say that the '73-76 bikes other than the blower shroud were my favorites, adding the groovy striping, some pretty cool color choices, and ditching the side reflectors made the bikes look pretty bitchin'. too bad this one don't look so hot:doah:

How do I know its a '75 you ask???? Because it came with this sweet little sheet of paper:deal:

Very nice! I found an early 71 Roadster 2 a couple months ago with everything but the engine. I would have rather run across your bike. Looks like it's all there. About the same amount of rust as mine I see. Still, I'm a bit jealous. Those engines don't come cheap!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

What's wrong with that Rupp, look outside, that's how Florida bikes always look being vintage!

Everything seems to be there and build-able!

Nice score!

markus

What's wrong with that Rupp, look outside, that's how Florida bikes always look being vintage!

Everything seems to be there and build-able!

Nice score!

Its actually not too bad, for coming off an island/key. Supposedly He had a matching pair. When I called he said one already sold, and they were an identical pair. If thats the case- to whoever bought the other one I will triple what you paid for it if you wanna sell it!!!!

I would have no problem riding that bike the 8 miles I commute to work every day.

And ride it all over too....

A couple days of disassembly and soaking in Evaporust and she will look good.

markus

Let me ask you guys this, Do you think I could pull off that decal set over top of "Plum crazy purple"? :

The decals are clear between the silver and black outer pinstripe

Little better shots in the sun:

Of course I'd have to peel off the swinger decals MarkG just recently sent me:doah: I have some paint left, if not enough I have the codes. I could shoot the front fender, the decal sets are available, I can use the '75 square shroud motor, swap out the sprockets etc.. BOOM! Decent looking '75 that I can title and ride around town on.

i wouldnt bother with that. whos gonna know the difference. its not going to say roadster on the registration. hell its only for a few months till you get the other one fixed up anyway :thumbsup:

markus

i wouldnt bother with that. whos gonna know the difference. its not going to say roadster on the registration. hell its only for a few months till you get the other one fixed up anyway :thumbsup:
I almost wish it didn't have a title, I only bought it with intentions of scrounging a few parts off it. I was probably going to nix the swinger after the 1st of the year and sell it off so I can focus on a few other bikes. Stupid title changes everything:doah:

On another note, I grabbed some tools and got prepared to snap some rusty bolts. oddly enough the driver/driven came off like butter, slipped right off the shaft! Belt is still an actual Rupp and not worn.

I media blasted the parts and they are airing out after a run through the parts washer. pulley halves are not worn heavily, they show some corrosion and a couple of I guess gassing bubbles from casting showed up, they are not deep so I'll smooth them out and reinstall.

Gonna pull the carb, flywheel, etc. and go at that and see if I can get it going before I do anything to the bike. It took a little coaxing to the get the gas cap off so I figured the tank was toast inside, but its actually clean. tires are holding air as well so maybe I can actually ride it. I've had 5 or 6 12" Rupps through the years.....never actually rode ANY of them though:doah:

markus

She's a runner:thumbsup:

Changed the points, new condensor, had to JB weld some magnets, soaked the carb, reinstalled the TC assy, lubed the rusty chain and I was cruising the hood with it! Governor is out of adjustment, hold it at too low of a speed but for the time being I'm leaving it. Oil was like milk after the first startup from sitting. so I sucked it out and and put fresh oil in. Gonna do that a couple of times so I figure I better not be full throttling it for long periods. It easy enough to reach down and push on the linkage and get it going on a straightaway :wink: All the electrical is working as well, brakelight switch is falling apart and I had to clean the contacts on the switch etc.. to get it all going but its all in working order:thumbsup: Rides not bad, Rupps have weak rear shocks so its cushy/bouncy. Its pretty quiet as well. TC is working great, I think I may have stressed the jackshaft bearings though a little when I put it all back together (they are still the originals) and I should probably replace them if I ride it on a regular basis.

I did give a quick bath.........but you cant really tell :doah: