TRK's Lighted HS50 Cinderella Story (a how-to)

As many of you may know... I tend to build polished turds from crushed junk.. I've determined that most lighting coils are all about the same basic coil pack.. With whatever different options...

http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/tecumseh-engines/58774-tecumseh-6-horse-lighted-system.html

I will now be building a lighted HS50 from TOTAL junk, picked from the scrapyard, left for dead.. Sold to be a Korean Kia air conditioning pump.. :angry: and polishing it into something that will literally live on forever now.. :thumbsup:

Our story begins some 18 months or more ago, in a small scrapyard, in small town USA... TRK is diligently digging treasures sold for pennies and left for dead, by less enlightened individuals, when he comes across this baby already thrown into a shipping container... Next stop Chinese prostitute clone.. Out of closet

He is far from rich, and ALL of the options are wrong for a minibike engine except HOPEFULLY the crankshaft and whatever other smalls.. an intake and flywheel key, points cover wire clip.. The oil plug is missing, no oil, and looks to be dirt inside the case... The external camshaft acting as reverse has been broken CLEAN OFF, and behind the oil seal to boot... She's 1/2 missing, and beaten badly..

It's not looking good for you little Tecumseh... But I will not forget you..

So TRK gives it a little kiss,
and stashes the motor away safe and warm, in a 51 Chevy school bus, to be rescued some time later, along with her little brother Kohler 4 horse.....

Flash Forward.... TRK does some work for the guys who run the junkyard.. In trade he receives the pile shown, including this HS50 long left behind.. She's looking bad, but about to embark on a most unexpected Cinderella Story..

First, he looks beyond the blemished head, to explore her inner beauty.... With a little cleaning up, he comes to find that her opening shutters are a bit loose, but her jug's looking NICE!! :drool: By God, give her a chance, and ya might just come to find that there's a lot of spunk left in this 33 year old girl......

So she is an excitable and durable little thing... we know she has potential, so I took a minute to bring her intake snapper back into service... I think I may have gone just a bit too far.... But JUST enough to make her a little better than the next.. :shifty:

Next is clean up this rear end.. :facepalm: A constantly leaking opening is never gonna fly in TRK's world....

So we found an organ donor with a CUTE little rearend, and OHHhhh so nice camshaft.. :drool:

Next step, up in those guts... :hammer:

By the end of our first day, our Cinderella Tecumseh has gotten a new cam, side cover, gasket, valve job, different head, a single wire lighting coil from a blown up HH60, and a thrown together from 10, carburetor......

She does take a quick peak outside, a brand new girl, tightly grasping a JC Pennies Chrome El Tigre, about to sneak down to the end of the road....

I never saved a pic of this point in the story :laugh:

But I was PLEASANTLY surprised to find out that this rejuvenated middle aged girl from Tecumseh Michigan, is one STRONG little thing and eager to get back into the swing of things....... With a HUGE first day.... She comes to stay with me in the house where we can become better acquainted.... I'll see you tomorrow sweetheart...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHzOOQfhPFg&ob=av2e

The next day......

First thing in the morning, we start exploring new enlightenment options....

I dig through my bag of tricks and dig out this extra coil setup with voltage regulator, from a vertical shaft ten horse Craftsman tractor engine..

It has three coils, one more than most any other minibike coils, and as many as three times the power when in a three wire system.... The whole thing looks shiny as new.. and it did put out power from the + end of the entire system (as should be) when tested, but really seamed to be less amperage than a standard lighting system.. Lets hope that is due to the big voltage regulator in the system...

Now, for a wire plug... I decide that the three wire plug from this oddball and completely useless (parts only) vertical shaft lighting coil is our best option.. (minibike HS50 correct and parts only) .....Now for a flywheel.... The NICE thing about these HS50 iron flywheels, is they are nice and perfectly round inside and out, and you can just ad more magnets, if you have them...

Somehow, all of this AC alternator nightmare, needs to become a three wire, three coil, DC lighting system..

To do this.. we will need to know what wire is who.....

I have determined that all of these copper coiled wires (charging coils) are wired as such.....

Negative DC power flows into the pack from the center of the charging spool, via the first end of the wire which makes up your charging coil windings... It does this by being body grounded to the coil pack.... The wire wraps around and around creating a spool. When the spool is full, the other end of the wire coming from the spool, on the outside of the spool is + flow out.......

Now... on a single wire, two coil, DC (lighting) coil setup, this first positive wire will flow into the negative end on the second spool, where it continues to wind around the second spool in a series, where it will leave, + DC flow, twice the voltage... Out to the wiring harness, typically to an inline glass buss fuse (red) along with a second (green) engine kill wire...

On the fuse panel style (charging units) Like seen on the H and HH 60"s 80's V60's,... Each of the two wire spools, are separate lines, and each one goes to it's own one way fuse/rectifier thing on the fuse panel, which allows the wire to charge a battery, but not let the battery back feed the coils....

On this particular vertical shaft 10 horse 3 coil charging ( AC alternator system) from a tractor that I will be chopping up into a DC lighting system....

The two wires coming out of your coils and to the wiring harness ARE NOT both positive.... They both are yellow, but one is positive to the voltage regulator, then THROUGH (alternating) back out, INTO the negative yellow wire on the plug..... A THIRD red wire coming from the center of the voltage regulator, is the one way out, DC 12 volts positive..... I will be removing all of this un-needed gibberish.. :hammer:

First I cut the wiring harness at a predetermined length, allowing me to save the loom... I then pulled the negative end of the harness back through to the front side where I need it..... Holding the VERY end of the wire which makes up my first spool in the series with needle nose pliers ( so it can't bend whilst remaking) I will feed it under the ignition ground wire where it will tuck away nicely.....

Now that I have fed the wire through where I want it routed, I have bared the end, then wrapped around a nail, sitting in the hole which IS the body ground terminal... This will allow me to wrap a perfect circle in the wire end like a mandrel, right where it will be screwed down....

Now I have one positive yellow wire running out to my wiring harness + three coils strong
and my green engine kill wire...

I debated whether or not to make two separate positive wires.. One single coils positive, for your tail light, and the OTHER wire being two coils in series for your headlight... But went with the simpler three coils, one wire, turns into two, inside the wiring harness, then is two positive wires out to the three wire plug...

Now that we have this... we can determine what extra magnets we have, and how they should be arranged..... It turns out I have enough to have four large HH60 magnets, and two more two piece small ignition magnets directly across from the originals.... This will keep everything balanced and timed right...

The magnets... This motor used two... One end is + field.. the other is - .... Which is which I don't know.. :lol: BUT!!!! I WAS ABLE TO LEARN, by pointing ANOTHER magnet at them... I learned that the FACTORY TWO magnets, were in BACKWARDS to each other.. :eek:hmy: This baffled me.. Until I found that the LONGER lighted magnets... Are PULLING on BOTH ENDS... And repelling in the middle area....

NOW!! When approaching the two ignition magnets, as if they were rolling at my test magnet.. I was able to see that the ENDS of the magnets on the outer edges, are pulling, and the middle area (above the two inner ends ) are repelling.... SO... NOW I know what they have in common....

The long magnets can't go in backwards... The smaller ones gotta go one certain way... :thumbsup:

After sticking the magnets how I liked them.. I marked timing marks and tried it loosely on my single wire lighting coil I originally had in the motor, with a LED I had... Spin by hand...

:bowdown:....... It's working.... So... I clean the magnets and flywheel really well... Whip up some two part epoxy and glue them in permanently.... These will be our new flywheel and coil pack for our Scrapyard Cinderella... I allow the glue to harden overnight and go to bed... See ya tomorrow morning Cindy..
You're gonna have another big day tomorrow....

No Doubt - Sunday Morning - YouTube

zeeman

Nice work TRK. I'm impressed. When you get it all worked out, are you going to post a parts list with detailed instructions? People would pay for that, maybe not much, but they would pay. I think. Tell Cindy hello.

Her big day.....

Well.... We KNOW she is eager and capable of taking us new places with ease..

Lets see if she knows where she's going...

WOW!!!!!
She's not only tough, been around the block, but she's BRIGHT!!! :bowdown: And let's be honest here, that's truly the most important feature of any of these little thangs.. :shifty: And this is idle,not asking anything of her at all... MAN she's enthusiastic... I think we might be onto something good here after all...

..See??? all she needed was a chance....

No Doubt - Bathwater - YouTube

Nice work TRK. I'm impressed. When you get it all worked out, are you going to post a parts list with detailed instructions? People would pay for that, maybe not much, but they would pay. I think. Tell Cindy hello.
I might get some clearer pics.. I have another identical coil, and enough magnets to make another identical motor.. :thumbsup:

is there a way to run a coil or coils on the outside of a flywheel to act as a charging coil?
I was gonna build one of those too.. :lol:

The lighting units for the external coil Tecumsehs, is kinda the same idea as these coils, but it has a bracket that bolts it onto the side of your ignition coil.... There ACTUALLY I believe is one pictured in the first picture in this thread... Same load of scrap, I had saved one of the external charging coils for a Tecumseh electric start vertical shaft push power engine.. Modernish nice fancy push mower engines.....

Problem with that is.. No headlights... SO there is only the standard (ignition) magnets on your flywheel.. As I started with.... Only there is no real way to ad more magnets to your flywheel..... So you'll only get a small burst of energy 1/8 of the time... 7/8 of the time is nothing...

You can maybe probably BUY another flywheel AND matched correct lighting coil that goes with your system....

However... The flatheads, even though have an EIC coil on the outside for the NEWER stuff... The block still has the bosses for the under the flywheel points ignition.. So you could drill and tap the holes, then bolt one of these coils in UNDER the flywheel, and then do :shrug: to ad magnets to the flywheel.... Or change the flywheel too..