Twin Engine Driveline

cxbra

What the f*** man! That is going to go for my favorite bike on this site period :bowdown::bowdown::eek:hmy::bowdown:. Shit's art, I'd stare at her alll day.

cxbra

Im sure you're going to do so, but make sure to get one of those thick industrial springs for the foot brake.. No pedal sag, just crisp braking.

The quality of your work is great!! And more power to you for actually jumping in and doing it!

Us spectators are surly envious, and so while I want to express a couple of opinions, I recognize that talk is cheap!

That said, 2 things strike me; the long single chain seems like the weak link here! It isn't that I have a better way, but the inherant potential problems are hard to ignore. It will be interesting to see if I am wrong, and for your sake I sure hope I am!!

2nd, given your considerable fabrication abilities, a scrub brake, not dual discs, seems out of place!

You are obviously a very clever guy so you must have thought both of these through and decided they would be sufficient. The proof of this pudding will be cool to watch! And again, whatever the final outcome, I sure commend you for jumping in and doing it!!
MiniBike Paul, thanks for the complements, and constructive criticism. I really appreciate others perspective when getting creative. Many good ideas become great when collaboration is involved.

The chain shouldn't present a problem. I've studied many set-up's and feel confident it will hold together. Most high HP sport bike's have long chains, and ones with extended swing arms even longer. I'm using a #40 chain, so it's plenty strong. I'll be trying a #41 also. It will give me a narrower profile, albeit slight, to give some added clearances.

There are several reasons for the scrub brake. First are the rules for the vintage mini-bike drags held by the Billetproof organization. Although the rules are listed, the event is extremely casual and a great time. The mini-bikes are a fun sideline to the main event of vintage drags. Mostly gassers, and rails, but it's a run-what-ya-brung, hot-lap, grudge match event. Ya-ya-ya, my whole mini-bike isn't so vintage, I know. But, I tried to keep with the look of vintage. Second, I love the whole art and mechanical look of the pedal-arm-paddle brake system. I do agree with you that disc brakes would be appropriate, but I sticking to my plan.

I can't wait to get it running and see if the proof of concept works. What ever happens, it's been a blast going through the process.

Stay tuned!

Where did you get the velocity stacks for the PZ's? Nice build btw.
korndog, I bought the velocity stacks from baddaug on eBay. He had one left when I ordered them. Cool guy to deal with, bought many items from him, but he doesn't budge much on prices. They're very nice. Good luck.

korndog, I bought the velocity stacks from baddaug on eBay. He had one left when I ordered them. Cool guy to deal with, bought many items from him, but he doesn't budge much on prices. They're very nice. Good luck.
Thanks loppy. yeah, they look great.

Oh, and most of the bikes at the L.A. drags have scrub breaks, so more power to ya!

Just realized that's Robin from Bad Dog mini bike. yeah; cool guys and all his stuff is top quality.

Last edited:
Updated the driveline tonight. Added the second idler to the rear of the clutch to prevent the chain from rising when coming off of full throttle positions. Will also be shaping and adding lightening holes to blend it with the rest of the design.

cxbra

Bless you're soul on this build. I like how you want to run a scrub brake to make it vintage, you're a true artist :thumbsup:. What colors are you thinking? It would look NASTY with raw metal forks, nasty is a good thing haha.

MiniBike Paul

[/QUOTE]

This bike you are doing is terrific!! And just the fact that you went from talk to build is impressive, and more than I have done!

Still, I keep staring at this picture and thinking about this; a front engine with a clutch running a short chain to the 2nd engine, which would have no clutch, rather 2 same size sprockets. Off the second sprocket run a short chain to a jackshaft with a clutch, and then a 3rd short chain to the wheel.

I am admittedly biased towards short chains, but there are other reasons. You could start #2 off #1 (only 1 engine to start), gear changes would be easy at the jackshaft, it would be cool on a dual engine to put dual disk brakes, one on the jackshaft and one on the wheel, and the mechanical addition of the jackshaft would only offset that of the idlers, so i see no net loss.

It might be argued that a disadvantage would be running both motors thru the final clutch, but a suitable clutch is available, so that is just more expensive.

Please understand that I am just thinking here, or trying, and in no way am i trying to diminish your substantial accomplishments!! Damn, I wish you lived in my neighborhood, or me yours!!

This bike you are doing is terrific!! And just the fact that you went from talk to build is impressive, and more than I have done!

[/QUOTE]

Why do I get the feeling this bike is going to end up in Camarillo some day?

Bless you're soul on this build. I like how you want to run a scrub brake to make it vintage, you're a true artist :thumbsup:. What colors are you thinking? It would look NASTY with raw metal forks, nasty is a good thing haha.
Your not the first to say run the forks raw. I think that's cool too! It's always been in my head to black it out. Will look sinister. I think I'm going semi-gloss black with traditional airbrushed hot rod flames (yellow/orange/red) running down and along the the frame. The flames will be pinstriped most likely in lime green, maybe purple. The seat is still to be determined, but I've thought of the sides being white zodiac (metal flake) tuck-n-roll and the top mexican blanket.

Looking Good Loppy!
I too agree with the scrub brake, it's a "minibike", they had scrub brakes! Besides, they only just slow ya down!
I tried one on mine and the pushing with knee just didn't work (you know what I mean!) I just got my goodies back from Mike last night, a build thread will soon be posted.:thumbsup:

It's coming along fantastic:thumbsup: just don't forget the steering stabilizer MDB always runs one. an I've been a tight spot once or twice were it would have been a life saver.

Parachute plate/gusset mocked-up...25 holes later. The routing of the cord is shown how it came from Deist. When I re-pack it it will come out on the top left away from the chain and sprocket.

Worked on it a little this past weekend. Here's a preview of the wheelie bar. Cross members are in and will update with pic tomorrow. Still have lots to do, gas tank, puke take, kickstand, dual throttle, upper frame/seat braces, seat pan, parachute cord guide....breath...breath...oh ya, clean welds, molding, and kustom paint...aaaaaa

maddcarson

That bike has Baddass writen all over it!! Im drooling at my desk over that bike :drool:

Whats the seat situation, How long is it going to be?

Nice job On making a cool looking Mount for the chute. Good thing you have one or you couldnt stop that beast!:thumbsup:

-Carson.

Worked on it a little this past weekend. Here's a preview of the wheelie bar. Cross members are in and will update with pic tomorrow. Still have lots to do, gas tank, puke take, kickstand, dual throttle, upper frame/seat braces, seat pan, parachute cord guide....breath...breath...oh ya, clean welds, molding, and kustom paint...aaaaaa

that is sick :thumbsup::bowdown: that got me thinking about twin gx390's :laugh: