Twist throttle control

OK, long story short, I have had enough of pitbike chineese crap plastic throttles. Had 3 break. First one the inner part of the throttle became detached from the grip, second and third failed where the throttle connects- they were plastic!

I found this unit on OldMiniBikes here and wondered what the quality was like? Is the bit where the cable attaches onto metal or plastic, and is the grip part of the throttle securely glued to the inner part of the throttle?

Also, what do people do for a kill swich, and where are they located? One of the chineese ones had a kill switch on the throttle grip which was useful. None of the OldMiniBikes warehouse ones do. I could mount up the kill switch from the chineese one but it wouldn't look very 'clean'.

This is going on my homemade minibike, gx160 and tav30 powered, currently fully belt drive (going to put chain on)

Thanks in advance!

Those are good..but the square (GT) grip ones are softer and have a better feel. And they also sell a push button kill switch that you hook to the same wire.

Thanks. Found the kill switches, they look good, and a good price. Which ones are the square better ones?

Also, is it metal or plastic where the cable connects on the ones in the link I posted?

Off topic, but I have one of these brake calipers currenlty, and it doesn't work great. Is it likely to be because of my setting up, or due to a crap caliper? I have a disc like this

Opinion on brakes? Could I just upgrade the caliper and leave that disc?

I think OldMiniBikes are out of them at the moment and I am not good at links..lol. But the ones your looking at have the "pot" metal throttle sleeve the cable hooks to. You can always get those and put whatever grips you want on them also. I have never tried either of those calipers..so I cant say.

I think this is the one Cheezy is talking about 7/8" Throttle Control 5-1/4" Long Set 53" Cable & 3 Conduit Clips Your Brake problem is that cheap china mechanical caliper :doah: if you want real stopping power you need a Hydraulic Brake system like this Mini Bike Hyd Brake Syst it would work with your disc but I dont know if the brake line would be long enough for your bike or if they ship to the UK
Close..but its the grip like the Ruttmans and such had. Tough to see..but the ones like on this bikes. Thats the closest pic I can find at the moment.

I think OldMiniBikes are out of them at the moment and I am not good at links..lol. But the ones your looking at have the "pot" metal throttle sleeve the cable hooks to. You can always get those and put whatever grips you want on them also. I have never tried either of those calipers..so I cant say.
The $20 kit is in stock. 'pot' metal, is that bad? Better than plastic surely?
I am tempted to machine my own billet grips from aluminium and gnarl them. They would never break! However, can you buy just the 'housing' for the twist bit anywhere, like that OldMiniBikes one?

I think this is the one Cheezy is talking about 7/8" Throttle Control 5-1/4" Long Set 53" Cable & 3 Conduit Clips Your Brake problem is that cheap china mechanical caliper :doah: if you want real stopping power you need a Hydraulic Brake system like this Mini Bike Hyd Brake Syst it would work with your disc but I dont know if the brake line would be long enough for your bike or if they ship to the UK
That throttle looks nice but rather pricy including shipping. Made in UK eh? I wonder if I can source one, I mean WTH is the point of buying British products from America if you live in Britain! Lol.

Those brakes look good, but a little outta my price range. My bike started off as a scrap/ free or cheap build! It only has baby 11" ride on mower wheels.
Would something like this work equally as well?
Complete Hydraulic Brake Rear Mini Moto Dirtbike ? PetrolScooter UK
Close..but its the grip like the Ruttmans and such had. Tough to see..but the ones like on this bikes. Thats the closest pic I can find at the moment.
Can't really see, where would I source them?

Thanks for the helpful replies and advice!

the square mount kill switch didn't work for my minibike and i went back to the round ones with the red buttons they have always worked good for me.

Link?

Does anywhere sell the bare throttle housings like any of the metal ones sold on the warehouse? I would seriously be up for turning a handle from aluminium because it would never brake! Then I could gnarl the handle and put a bicycle grip on, held with araldite and a tight fit. Bicycle grips are more comfy than the china crap I have used so far by a long way!
Cheers
Rob

TomH

what is wrong with the belt drive anyway? I think if you get a metal throttle, you won't have to go through all that milling and what not. I have bought two, replacing plastic ones and I haven't broke either.

Two like the ones in the link I posted?
Belt drive- i tension the belts as much as possible and when they get wet the loosen and slip like mad. They are incredibly inefficient compared to chain. I have a jackshaft and I am going to leave the belt from torque converter to jackshaft.

jrzmac

I have those cherry grips. they're nice, but they don't have a metal sleeve! it's plastic. the only thing metal is the part that clamps onto the handlebars!