Vintage, 5hptrike, unknown frame

Thought I would get in on this since I'm building the bike anyway. The engine is from the trike I put together in the late 70's.

Let's see, I think I need a few more parts.

Bob

Thanks to Bandit40 for identifying the frame as a Roma Nova. There is a metal tab behind the goose neck that is the same as well as the engine plate. My wife will love this as she has a 1970 Chevy Nova.

It didn't last long. It was driving off one rear wheel which torqued the whole thing to the right. Scrubbed most of the front tire off. Then when one of the neighbor kids was riding it the frame buckled at the seat hole and the frame collapsed. He sat right on the spark plug. A real shocking experience. It was a fast little trike though. Left a lot of mopeds in the dust. Too bad I never got a picture of it. Years later I got a birthday card from my dad that he had massaged a little. I loaded it up as my avatar.

It didn't last long. It was driving off one rear wheel which torqued the whole thing to the right. Scrubbed most of the front tire off. Then when one of the neighbor kids was riding it the frame buckled at the seat hole and the frame collapsed. He sat right on the spark plug. A real shocking experience. It was a fast little trike though. Left a lot of mopeds in the dust. Too bad I never got a picture of it. Years later I got a birthday card from my dad that he had massaged a little. I loaded it up as my avatar.
Neat project and a very graphic (mental picture) story to tell as well. Hope the kid recovered OK.

New wheels and tires plus other parts I got this week from OldMiniBikes warehouse. I got the drum brake set up and now am working on the kickstand. Sent in another order for cables and misc hardware. The engine hasn't run in many years so I better get it fired up this weekend.

I was thinking of chrome fenders but not sure right now. Should I?

Bob

Got some more work done over the weekend. Ran the cable for brake and accelerator. I used large lock washers as they are thick and won't chafe the cables. One behind the fork and the other at the front of the engine plate.

I also got the drum brake set up. Working on mounting the seat.

I've had to make a lot of modifications to the frame due to the larger motor. It originally had a scrub brake but the foot peg was under the blower housing. I cut it off and went with the drum brake.

I had to put foot pegs in the front so new mounting tabs had to be welded on. I used part of the scrub brake arm for the kick stand. I got it working on the left side but when I mounted the engine, the whole bike wanted to fall to the right. I spent about an hour welding on a new bracket on the right and cutting the one off the left.

I did try to fire the engine again but it wouldn't light. I pulled apart the carb and found all kinds of junk plugging it up. It figures as it's been sitting for over 20 years. Rebuild kit is on order.

If the parts come in time, I may have a running bike this weekend. I'll work out the bugs and then tear it down for the powder coating.

Bob

One other thing.

The triple tree hits the frame when turned all they way. I don't want to mess up the paint later on. What's the best way prevent this?

It works!

Had to replace the starter clutch, put the chain on, put the seat on and away we go!

This thing is fast! I rode it around for a half hour. Notice the smile on my face. Now I know why they put springs on the suspension. Riding in the rough stuff rattles your teeth. I still have fenders to put on and then its time to tear it apart for the detail work. I think I'll go for another ride!

Nice to have a rider already! :thumbsup:

I won't be that far til probably April at this rate.

I like the washers on the frame for cable holders!

buckeye

Good idea on the washers!
Great to be riddin again huh??:thumbsup:

On the triple trees hitting the frame, I use those little clear rubber deals you stick to the back of picture frames. One ide is stickey, other is clear and about 1/8" or so thick. Works great.:thumbsup:

The frame had washers for the cables and the scrub brake spring. They were very thin so I used large lock washers and cut out about a fourth of it right at the split. These work better as they are thicker and wont scuff the cable housings.