Vintage dragbike

C9H13NO3

I would like to see the drivetrain on that thing. However they got the engines to work together (without tearing themselves apart) it must have taken some creative thinking.

Oldsalt

I would like to see the drivetrain on that thing. However they got the engines to work together (without tearing themselves apart) it must have taken some creative thinking.
As they are 2-smokers there are half the 'reversals' in the drive system as with a 4-stroke.

Also it only needs to run 30 or 40 seconds as it is a drag machine.

And to tell the absolute truth, the guy writing the article would be loath to point out any problems so we don't, and will never know, if it really works for more than a few minutes.

Yes indeed, I too would like to see a pic of the drive train.

That square section front tire [rather that round contour] looks scary for a high speed mini. The builder should have known better, I'd think.

C9H13NO3

As they are 2-smokers there are half the 'reversals' in the drive system as with a 4-stroke.

And to tell the absolute truth, the guy writing the article would be loath to point out any problems so we don't, and will never know, if it really works for more than a few minutes.

That square section front tire [rather that round contour] looks scary for a high speed mini. The builder should have known better, I'd think.
Thanks for the clarification. I wonder if it ever actually made a pass at the strip, or was just all show and no go?

KB2ROCKET

You are right about the tires but please understand back then their was no Internet not much of an aftermarket for parts and you were only as smart as your smartest friend that was willing to help and most folks just used what they had or could get in a mower shop or order snail mail from a magazine
Projects are easy now just cruize the Internet for parts or ask the whole world what they think in a forum like this one :)

You are right about the tires but please understand back then their was no Internet not much of an aftermarket for parts and you were only as smart as your smartest friend that was willing to help and most folks just used what they had or could get in a mower shop or order snail mail from a magazine
Projects are easy now just cruize the Internet for parts or ask the whole world what they think in a forum like this one :)

True.

Oldsalt

KB2
You are dead right. In the mid 70s a couple of friends and I decided to stretch a Royal Enfield 500 frame and mount two 500cc Royal Enfield engines with a Harley 45 gear box for the strip. Total wonder that at least one of us wasn't killed or at least have a drive chain and clutch basket tearing off a leg. We had no real idea about what we were doing and no examples to try to copy. But I learned a lot about hooking two single cylinder engines together.

As you know a number of folks here on OldMiniBikes have talked about building a dual Briggs mini and possibly one guy might still be working on one. But it looks like proving a reliable drive system is still a thing for the future.

The attached pic of a bike with dual shovelhead Harley engines. It works. I talked with the guy that owns it and got to look closely at it.