wanting to build mini bike from scratch

hello,
i,am new here and got fasinated with the site. I,am a older fella that is retired metal fabricator, i,ve built about every motor head thing that can be built as toys thru my life but now I,d like to scratch build a bike ! i,am 6'1" and 250 lbs so I need a little bigger bike than most hence "scratch build" does anybody sell prints so I can get a good starting point ? engine is going to be the h/f preditor 212. i have a tube bender,mig/tig welder, access to water jet etc. also I,d like front suspension at least. all help is appreciated as getting old is boring and slow. I need a project again.
thanks
bob

Not sure there is any plans available for mini bikes. There is plans for the Tom Thumb mini bike. Check out the thread. The plans are photo copied there. "Tom thumb thread". With the tools you have I'm sure you could build any kind of bike. Good luck.. If you get really bored, you can build me a tom thumb:laugh::laugh:

buckeye

Search through some of the project logs.
There are some great builders on this site who have fabbed some great bikes.
Welcome to OldMiniBikes and enjoy.
This section is actualky for build projects.
You might pose your question in the general discussion section.

Wow a guy with your skill set, and access to equipment like waterjets should be able to build an awesome bike. I look forward to seeing your work!:thumbsup: Here are a couple DIY books from ebay, but I've never read them before, so I don't know if they're any good.

?? Mini Pocket Bike Go Kart Scooter ATV How to DIY Vintage Plans Chopper Pro Pit | eBay

Fat Tire Scooter Mini Bike Minibike Off Road Plans ATV | eBay

Mini Bike Plans Go Kart Scooter Tractor ATV How to Make Crafts Hobby | eBay

Matt

thanks for the imput everybody, tube size,thickness etc 7/8" X .083 OR 1" X .090 dom tube , I dont think chrome moly 4130 would be needed.

Last edited:
Either size should work. It just depends on the design and what you plan on doing. The 1" DOM will definitely make for a stronger frame or allow you to make a more minimalistic frame that could still carry 250lbs without breaking. It sounds like working with either size isn't a problem for you, so thats not an issue. If you are making a bigger bike to carry a bigger person and plan on hitting some bumps or riding it hard, I'd say use 1" just to be safe.

http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/project-logs/76237-step-through-scooter.html

I think this bike is a real cool one. I just might try something similar for my "winter" project. First I need to get that furnace hooked up out there. Gets cold here in Michigan.:laugh:
I liked the idea of that one too (step through) it would be cool to modify it slightly and put a couple skids on front like the one Yoop made earlier in the year.

I have so many ideas for bikes I want to build, so many cool designs and possibilities to choose from. Let me know if you have a design in mind you want help with, be glad to share.

Last edited:
Bob, I find it easier to just design a rough idea the then refine as I go. We're about the same size and I have found for a comfortable ride, 19 x 7 x 8 tires are great. You'll need a jackshaft 12T clutch to 20T the 12T to 70T works well. I scrounge most of my parts, so I collect every thing first , wheel engine sprockets and then build and design from there.

1inch tube is the way to go makes for a strong frame and it looks proportionate and good. Stroll through the albums there's some awesome ideas here.

Welcome to OldMiniBikes :thumbsup:

Last edited:
you fellas are the best. is there a specific clutch i should buy ? i live on top of a good size hill but the drive is paved so i,ll need a h/d clutch i believe. been almost 45 yrs since i fooled with a clutch and I,am sure times have changed. it was on my old century speed kart with a 7hp 2cycle techumsey boy wouls it fly...
thanks

Hey you are not far from me , i'am in knox . Check out my photos on some bikes i have built . I'am also going to build a frame from scratch this winter when i get done my hot rod rupp . Just got me a pro tools 104 bender and ready to try it .

David Wulf

Bob , the max torque clutches are awesome for the price, but if you want to climb a hill its all in the gearing, I prefer a slow more powerful ride than top end , but you can reqad about both here and decide want you would like.

Got a sketch or pic of what you like yet