Wards 525 (Gilson) Pictures

Pictures of my Mini Bike, I have got the front forks to work (PB Blaster) engine Briggs & Stratton 3.5 runs OK. Bought a HF 212 and a Max Torque clutch. As you can see the rear suspension is solid, but has swing arm. I think it should have shocks which begs the question what would be the better length and brand. It is 12 inches eye to eye. Also the jack shaft welded sprocket is about shot along with the rear sprocket. The rear wheel assembly is not in good repair and I will have to replace. The right gear combination for stock engine and normal use seems to be a moving target. Not looking for race bike just a bike for me and grand kids.

I have been looking at project bikes like mine and would like input so I won't buy stuff not needed or not robust enough to last. Seems to be order of the day, retired.

The group looks to be friendly and open with advice.

Attachments

buckeye

Hey Jack.
Welcome to OldMiniBikes.

Nice Gilson you have there.
You can add shocks to that. And they ride like a dream.

I just finished this one. Jersey Rat.
Need any help, gladly will do my darndest.

CarPlayLB

don't be fooled by our smiles...we are a bunch of A-holes, with a few fine ladies thrown in to keep us in line!:thumbsup:

you have a nice foundation there...just gonna need to show 'er some love! How far are you going to resto-mod this? You gonna blow it apart and start from scratch? OldMiniBikes will have everything you need ( NO, I am not a paid poster, just a happy customer!)...click the link at the top of the page. These are simple to work on...don't overthink it! Hit us with specific questions and we can help you!

Jack, first off welcome. Your bike would be a 424 with the struts instead of rear shocks I believe. 12" shocks would be good. The 450# Azusas would work fine. An OldMiniBikes jack shaft would replace yours and you can order the #35 gears you want for your gear ratio. They fasten with set screws for easy service. Let me know if I can help in any way.

Sent from my Texas Instruments Speak and Spell...[emoji2]

I really like the welcome, I will call OldMiniBikes and order the parts. I lived in Dayton Ohio for 12 years but grew up in Michigan. I think jack shaft and gears / rear wheel next move. Struts as I get the cash. Thanks again Buckeye, CarPlayLB and Minibikin

capguncowboy

Welcome to the Gilson owners club. Those other guys have never ridden a comfy bike unless they've ridden a Gilson. If you have questions on parts or measurements, let me know and I'll do what i can to help.

Your bike actually looks like the 3 or 4 series, depending on the engine size originally. It's also located on the tag on the inside of the forks. The 5 series had a tank under the seat, and they all came with shocks on the rear. It would be easy to convert though.

Like others have said, welcome to the forums. I'll be watching your thread closely

Welcome

As for the shocks, I have used the set sold by Northern Tool. They are 12" &
I've used them on two of these bikes with no issues. They are adjustable as well.
You get a pair for about $30.00

I want to build it to ride, clean it up paint etc, we have 3 acres to buzz around on. I will put HF 212 (wife bought), shocks (already ordered), need to order jackshaft with the proper gears. I have six inch wheels on it with original tires (Riversides) with band brake. I want to replace rear wheel and tire assembly. I will call OldMiniBikes for advice on payday to order gears and shaft assy. Do you have any advice on gearing, I have Max Torque clutch with 12 tooth #35. I have looked around forum and would like 30-35 MPH tops but do not have any experience with power / gearing. Is the engine capable of that speed without damaging clutch with my 220 lbs on it? Kinda of a fun project.

Nice vintage USA bike. Don't pitch that old Briggs you may decide to go back to old school power some day....or list in the classifieds here and recoup your money for the predator.

Have fun.

Nice vintage USA bike. Don't pitch that old Briggs you may decide to go back to old school power some day....or list in the classifieds here and recoup your money for the predator.

Have fun.
It does run good. I was riding it today. I will pull it when I gather all the parts and put it on the shelf for later. Thanks for tip Jack