Weeping gas cap repairs/fixes

Ding Ding

My gas caps on on my mini bikes tend to "weep" small amounts of fuel if going over bumps or after an aggressive ride. I assume this has to do with old seals in the cap and venting or lack there of....

Aside from cap replacement, does anyone have any good fixes or repairs they've done to keep fuel from slowly leaking out the cap over the tank?

An O ring in the cap?
An O ring around the neck of the tank?
Silicone in the cap?
Bubble gum?
Rubber band?

The caps would obviously still need to removable and not a pain in the ass to use.

125ccCrazy

go to your local parts store like Autozone and look for a roll of cork gasket material and cut a new gasket to fit snug in the cap but before installing it punch a small hole about 1/8" diameter in it but not directly under the vent hole in the cap...

also make sure the flanges are flat. the thin sheetmetal is usually all over the place. and can usually be tweeked back enough to hold fuel.

CarPlayLB

What cap? on what tank? If you can measure the dimensions needed, I can cut you a heavy paper fiber gasket, or cork, or buna-n rubber gasket. I make gaskets for my old Briggs caps that work well. I have a machine capable of this and will cut more perfect circles than you can! PM me the info and I will make ya one...or five!
Shameless plug, I already produce gaskets for vintage engines such as Mac MC49, MC91, West Bend 610/820, West Bend 580, and assorted carb gaskets. let me know what you need and I can get'er done!

I used some foam ,some of the newer briggs have it...just be sure its compatible w/ your fuel..it keeps the fuel from sloshing around+a new fuel cap.Mick

Ding Ding

UPDATE:

I bought a roll of 1/8" thick cork gasket material. I cut out a ring to fit in each of the fuel tank caps that were leaking. Completely sealed them up. No more leaking/weeping. So consider this matter resolved!

Also, the cork I bought came in a 36" long X 12" wide roll....and I only used a 3" X 6" rectangle to make (2) rings, so I should be set for life as far as gaskets go.:laugh:

Thank you for the help.

Last edited: