What do you guys drive in real life?

Oh and I almost forgot... Here's the reason for my Bonanza BC1300 resto-build..... You cant race a vintage Mini without a vintage Bonanza pit bike.

My buddy's car, but worthy of noting its importance in both our lives. :drinkup:

65ShelbyClone

AKA Toyota's phony 4X4. :laugh:

Don't take it as an insult; I drive one too and it's a year older than yours. :doah: It sucks big time offroad, but it has a lot more guts than the '94 2.4L pickup it replaced and since it's an Xtra Cab, it's fairly comfortable.
I sold my PreRunner last week, but not before replacing it with something more economical...

The engine smokes (A LOT) and I think I hurt the transmission, so this driveline donor followed me home yesterday:

Last edited:
I've still got the same Honda CR-V that I had when this thread started about a year ago. But in that time it's turned over 200,000 miles, and I've added at least two more motorcycles to the herd.

65ShelbyClone

What a very cool project! :thumbsup:
Thanks, I think so too. :smile:

I figure the 155hp engine ought to push a 2000lb Pinto just a littler faster than it does a 3200lb 'Bird...at least until I add an intercooler and turn up the wick. I thought I was going out to look at an '85, but it turned out to be an '86 with a better E6 manifold and the largest T3 turbo (60-trim compressor with a 0.63 hot housing) for a 2.3T and the larger 35lb injectors. Factory parts capable of ~300rwhp. :eek:ut:

Thanks, I think so too. :smile:

I figure the 155hp engine ought to push a 2000lb Pinto just a littler faster than it does a 3200lb 'Bird...at least until I add an intercooler and turn up the wick. I thought I was going out to look at an '85, but it turned out to be an '86 with a better E6 manifold and the largest T3 turbo (60-trim compressor with a 0.63 hot housing) for a 2.3T and the larger 35lb injectors. Factory parts capable of ~300rwhp. :eek:ut:
Yep. Just a "little" faster.
How close are the (various) mounts from Pinto to Bird? I've seen plenty of 302 conversions, even in the 70's, but never this one. I suppose one could do a Maverick the same way.

Having a complete donor car (as you know) is everything. I could get excited about a project like this. :thumbsup:

The Turbo Coupe motor to the Pinto is bolt in depending on trans. My concern is not with the motor setup, but if the Pinto has the 7 inch rear axle, it won't survive a built 2.3. Find an 8" from a Mustang II that had a 302.

Then you should start looking at strengthening the chassis. That lightweight Pinto gets flexy with more power. Subframe connectors help bigtime.

My new cheap daily driver is a 1997 CRV with real time 4 wheel drive. Gets double the mileage of the big Superduty and has enough room in the back for a minibike. No pic as it looks just like all the other CRVs on the road... Plain. Stock. Boring. :laugh:

When we did the v8 pinto we swaped in a 8'' out of a Mustang. It had a high 2 to low 3 ratio, cant remember what the ratio was. With the stock Pinto 4 banger 4 speed and the 8'' rear it would outrun most stock small blocks but only if you kept it in 2nd gear .The only place it made any power was in 2nd, it would just pull and pull. When you hit 3rd or 4th it would fall on its face.We had alot of fun before and after the v8 swap.

71 play toy 91 work truck 03 my garage baby 14 my new toy . Had to sell my 69 gmc p/u , 71 firebird formula 350 , 71 Datsun p/u and my 71 chevy blazer CST that one is still painful.

65ShelbyClone

How close are the (various) mounts from Pinto to Bird? I've seen plenty of 302 conversions, even in the 70's, but never this one. I suppose one could do a Maverick the same way.

Having a complete donor car (as you know) is everything. I could get excited about a project like this. :thumbsup:
A 2.3 became optional for Pintos in '74, so the engine mounts are no problem.

There was a guy on Turboford.org that put a 2.3T in a '65 Mustang. Believe it or not, there actually is not enough room between the shock towers for the turbo and manifold. Since Mavericks have the same engine bay, that means it won't there without modification either.

1.) My concern is not with the motor setup, but if the Pinto has the 7 inch rear axle, it won't survive a built 2.3. Find an 8" from a Mustang II that had a 302.

2.) Then you should start looking at strengthening the chassis. That lightweight Pinto gets flexy with more power. Subframe connectors help bigtime.
1.) I have a leftover 8" that was originally in my '68 Mustang. Would need to be narrowed, though. There's also the 7.5" T-Lok out of the 'Bird. Not worth narrowing that one. :hammer:

2.) I figured as much. A 2000lb car can't have much steel in it.

How does that work when the fuel isn't liquid?

A 2.3 became optional for Pintos in '74, so the engine mounts are no problem.

Optional? If you are looking at the option over the 2.0. For 5 years(75-80) the 2.3 was the base motor.

1.) I have a leftover 8" that was originally in my '68 Mustang. Would need to be narrowed, though. There's also the 7.5" T-Lok out of the 'Bird. Not worth narrowing that one. :hammer:
Junkyard Mustang II 8" will bolt in. Get the driveshaft with it.

2.) I figured as much. A 2000lb car can't have much steel in it.

Subframe connectors make the biggest difference without being visible. Anything else will probably be visible, ie: rollcage, etc...
I raced Pintos and Mustang IIs for a lot of years, and have built several rollcages in them, along with moving suspension pickup points, and some other stuff the sanctioning bodies kinda frowned on.

This was the last one I built and raced in 2000 at Evergreen Speedway. 1978 Mustang II. Overgrown Pinto as I called it as everything under the body was the same as a Pinto.