What HP increase will a performance camshaft give?

I was wondering, if you had for instance, a stock 5hp Briggs, and you dropped in the highest performance camshaft this otherwise stock engine could manage, how much higher would the HP be?

I would think putting the biggest camshaft in a stock motor wouldn't do any good. You wouldn't be able to take advantage of the higher rpm range the cam would need to run at.

I would think putting the biggest camshaft in a stock motor wouldn't do any good. You wouldn't be able to take advantage of the higher rpm range the cam would need to run at.
With the gx honda engines and the briggs 5hp engines especially, you get a range of perfomance cams for them with varying degrees of lift and duration ect. The higher performance ones require other mods to go with them (valve springs, carb swaps, con rod changes ect). I meant the highest performance ones which DON'T require these other mods. :smile:

wow i bet with the right lsa and icl you could have a pretty wild cam that would still run better than the stock unit. my gx i am using a marine grine nr cam because i wanted it to sound wild and make tq down low and still pull to 7000rpm and it does. :thumbsup:

The good thing about working on a 5hp briggs is that is has been in development with kart racers for 20+ years. Dyno cams alone has more grinds than you could imagine. To just awaken your stocker, a grind like the 95-3 or one of the SS cams will help a little. Some cams will require a set of billet lifters, and almost all will need stiffer valve springs. Some of the cams also need the lifter area welded for increased strength.