Why do we love minibikes so much?

So whats the reason for everyone else? Clearly for some the money spent on restoration could have bought a nice full size bike! For me so far it would have to be the portability! Just pick it up an throw it in the back of the truck/ head out to the country and ride some trails and just cruise along/ nice way to spend a Sunday and just get away!!!! Yeah the look on peoples faces when you jump on a mini and just tear ass on down the road when they thought it would barely take off with a grown man on it/ PRICELESS!! Even better if ya got two and a friend can come along!! Just building memories with my daughter is enough for me!! Shes almost three and shes been helping me pound on them since she could raise her plastic hammer:laugh:Shes always asking to go out to the garage and work on the minibikes!! She tells me all the time "We gonna go ride that" how can I resist!! I just take a construction belt and wrap it around us/slap a helmet on her and she puts her feet on the top of the triple trees and away we go!! She loves it!! I'll post some picts of us when I get them downloaded!! So whats your stories/reasons for the love of the mini?!! Jason

Last edited:

MikeBear

I don't know about YOU, but I'm living my child-hood. I barely got a first one, and now that I'm 52 and can afford it, I'm going to go for it! :scooter: :scooter::laugh::laugh:

P.S. My wife thinks I'm crazy, but who cares? ;)

Obtainable dream machine. As a kid a mini bike purchase was something that some hard work having a paper route, mowing lawns could make it happen . It was seen as a freedom machine when things were a whole lot less restrictive.
Now today if your boyhood dreams were unfulfilled you hunt down a project and do your own thing. And nothing is grander than to provide that first ride for your family and friends.
Steve :scooter:

Neck

Growing up is optional
It seemed to take so very long to get a mini as a kid, and after I got it and proceeded to throw every hipo part at it that I could get my hands on, it was just my first real tangible sign of success, after I bought my first dirt motorcycle in high school, I kept the mini. Every camping trip we went on, the mini came. Even after I bought my first car, I kept the mini. It wasn't until I needed to buy parts to fix that car, and needed money, did I sell it, and I hated myself for doing so. Now it's an inexpensive (or not!) means of having fun, and the joy of owning something from my past.

Because I can find one in the garbage, three hours later it's the best car I've ever owned and drive it every day, everywhere I go, can carry it across a river to find mushrooms, do 59 miles per hour drunk through the cemetery out running the cops.... Do it all again tomorrow? 70 miles per gallon? ? It's fun?? :shrug:

Because I can find one in the garbage, three hours later it's the best car I've ever owned and drive it every day, everywhere I go, can carry it across a river to find mushrooms, do 59 miles per hour drunk through the cemetery out running the cops.... Do it all again tomorrow? 70 miles per gallon? ? It's fun?? :shrug:
Hey Kid was that all done today?!! You've been busy!!!!:rolleyes:

Obtainable dream machine. As a kid a mini bike purchase was something that some hard work having a paper route, mowing lawns could make it happen . It was seen as a freedom machine when things were a whole lot less restrictive.
Now today if your boyhood dreams were unfulfilled you hunt down a project and do your own thing. And nothing is grander than to provide that first ride for your family and friends.
This.
Especially the bold part. Its like the little kid inside comes out when you ride on a mini. Convince somebody to ride, they do a couple laps and get comfortable and they smile so much you'd think their head would flop off.:thumbsup:

Oldsalt

I love them because they are whimsical. Especially the early 'fundamental' minibikes that have no suspension and are comprised of a tube frame, small wheels, lawnmower type engine and a simple throttle, clutch and brake. The most basic and simple motorized transportation device in the universe!

It's the thing I couldn't have as a kid, too dangerous!
It's the quest for a good buy!
It's the quest for something old and rare!
Can afford it now if I can only find it and beat the other hunters to Craiglist sellers first. And deal with the weirdooooooo's selling most of them!:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Antique roadshow, flea market and memories all rolled into one!

I had a mini as a kid but the main reason I got back into them was to get my son into riding and also learning how to do some wrenching..The small engine is fairly simple and as we add hop up parts to it he is learning basic skills that will be with him for life.....I have to say it is addicting though as we now have 4 of them and still looking at the classifieds every day!:doah:

I love mini bikes so much, becasue personally becasue I find them nostalgic, they are a kool peice of history. I am only 15 now (16 in a month or so) got a truck for my fist vehicle but I find myself working on my mini bikes even more! I like em so much because i learnt to wrench on them and got to build something that made the other kids jealous. They are a source of pride.

yeah on the mini cause i can speed away while they have to obey a speed limit :lol::lol::lol: that and my gf thinks its the hottest thing in the world