Will a Pressure washer 6.5 Briggs work

So I scored a pressure washer with a cracked pump he forgot to turn the water on. It's horizontal shaft so will this work?

Still driving home with it it's a craftsman 2550 psi 6.5 Briggs I won't know till I get home guy said he didn't run it long enough to use half a tank of gas. Looks brand new

Yes.. Water pumps are just about always a standard crank.. There WERE a select few briggs 3.5 horse motors with a regular 5/8 bore crank, but no key way and there are threads cut onto the outside..

But for the most part, %99 of the time it's gonna be a standard 3/4 or 5/8 keyed drilled tapped crank...

The worst part of water pump cranks, is if you get an old one.. Almost always the water pump has worn out and the seal leaks plus the thrust bearing type washer right on the crank shaft, all spinning away in there.. Cuts and rusts grooves and pits into the crank shaft near the oil seal.. Out to about 1/2 way out... I've seen em soooo barely rusted and worn you'd almost use it.. To the ":eek:hmy: HOLLY SHIT!! look at that crank.. :facepalm: " ... ones...

Those are usually the junkyard old beat up rusted away left for dead 1985 flathead motors though..

I used a 3.5 Tec from a Craftsman Pressure washer on one of my bikes, worked great once I converted the throttle linkage to a more minibike friendly design.

mardyn

Depends on the motor. I got a 5 horse Honda off of a pressure washer and had to change the crank. Had a weird looking splined output shaft on it.

If its a Briggs Intek motor 99% chance its a standard crankshaft. The throttle on these pressure cleaning motors are set up for full speed. Remove the tank and where the manual lever sticks out from under the tank loosen the nut till it moves freely without no effort. For a throttle setup check my photos and on the Monkey wards bike you will see what I did for a throttle hook up. You'll have to double click the photo for it to blow up and it pretty clear what I did. Good Luck. Post the model/type and code for the motor, the info is found on the valve cover.

Last edited:
Thanks. I got it home and 2 pulls started right up. I'll start seperating the pump and cart from it shortly thanks for all the info. It's so clean on the outside and the oil is really clean. I'll have to do something to make it fit in the mini frame. Remote fuel tank it's seems a little tall

Thats a great motor, one of Briggs best. It will make a great motor for a mini. I have 10 Briggs Intek motors and have them on everything but the go kart. Good Luck

Ok I figured out a throttle system from the info you guys posted. This is one pic I added a return spring off the linkage. I made another bracket but didn't take a pic yet until I have the final touches in place

jrzmac

Depends on the motor. I got a 5 horse Honda off of a pressure washer and had to change the crank. Had a weird looking splined output shaft on it.
THANK YOU! some dude in Jersey has a pressure washer with the same thing, a 5 horse Honda for 100.00 bucks. I was gona go pick it up but I'm glad I didn't!

The tanks on these Briggs are a real pain in the A#$. I have two minis that have the Briggs but the tanks were to tall so I rigged up a Honda fuel tank and they clear. That photo of mine, the Monkey wards bike, look again and you'll see a honda gas tank.

ok cool, I was going to try to figure out how to cut the bracket down and drop the tank there is about 2" of space under there before it will hit anything. I'll stop by a small engine shop this week and try to get something just in case

Those are great engines And i think they are way better than the clone engines. It will work fine as long as you hook up the throttle control right. Oh and watch out these have alot of torque, i used to do wheelies with mine all the time and untill the wheelie bar was on it the bike was flipped over 2 times.

IMG_20170709_022515.jpg ... IMG_20170709_022600.jpg .. IMG_20170709_022719.jpg this is what i stuck my old abused pressure washer motor on..mine is stock aside governor removed .take that muffler shield off and stock mufflrr pretty cool as is....is nice engine..I've been told animal parts fit to hop one up..

Last edited: