You all DO have a shell case tumbler, right?

Bikerscum

And if not, WHY NOT?

(click on the pic to view)

Everything is rubber coated so nothing rubs on a hard surface...

I actually had to take a bit of the rubber off to get things rotating.
We'll see how it looks in a few hours.

:scooter:

Don't tell the misses I told you this, but I use an icecream tub with media and the parts, duct tape the lid shut wrap it in a old towel with one more wrap of tape and stick it in the clothes drier on the cool cycle :lol:

Bikerscum

The results...

So, I started out with 4 wheel halfs like this...

I blasted them with some pretty arressive coal slag (Black Diamond) media, & got this...

The media worked really well, actually smoothed out some scratches, nicks, etc., but left a coarse, dry, sandblasted concrete look.

So, 20 hours or so in the tumbler & ...(in all the pics, the darker wheel with the bearing is the after pic)

My crappy cell camera doesn't show it, but the tumbled wheel has some sheen to it now. A clear coat & they'll look nice.

I'm pretty happy with how it came out.

:scooter:

Try filling your tumbler with .22 casings (short, long rifle, WMR, it all works).

The results are 110% FANTASTIC.

I tumble a lot of stuff. When I have really, really grimy casings or parts, that's what I do. Leaves them at a nice, high luster. You may also substitute .177 steel bb's & motor oil provided you are able to wet tumble.

It does an absolutely wonderful job, and leaves a very silky surface that just wipes clean (you'll need a thorough degreasing after, but hey, it's worth it!)

Try filling your tumbler with .22 casings (short, long rifle, WMR, it all works).

The results are 110% FANTASTIC.

I tumble a lot of stuff. When I have really, really grimy casings or parts, that's what I do. Leaves them at a nice, high luster. You may also substitute .177 steel bb's & motor oil provided you are able to wet tumble.

It does an absolutely wonderful job, and leaves a very silky surface that just wipes clean (you'll need a thorough degreasing after, but hey, it's worth it!)
Do you have any before/after pictures of your process? I'd like to see what an item looks like from this.

It looks much, much smoother than it would otherwise. It's kind of a compromise between walnut & stainless steel media (much better for delicate/tolerance sensitive parts).

If you let it run a long time, everything will have a brassy sheen to it. Take an oily rag, wipe down, and enjoy!

(I don't have any photos of stuff I've tumbled, as I haven't done it in a while. Now I need to tumble more stuff thanks to you :wink: )

I use the steel bb's & used motor oil for steel stock that's really grimy. It's absolutely BEAUTIFUL when it comes out of the tumbler.

It looks much, much smoother than it would otherwise. It's kind of a compromise between walnut & stainless steel media (much better for delicate/tolerance sensitive parts).

If you let it run a long time, everything will have a brassy sheen to it. Take an oily rag, wipe down, and enjoy!

(I don't have any photos of stuff I've tumbled, as I haven't done it in a while. Now I need to tumble more stuff thanks to you :wink: )

I use the steel bb's & used motor oil for steel stock that's really grimy. It's absolutely BEAUTIFUL when it comes out of the tumbler.
Sorry to give you some more work but it's all good intentions. I'd really REALLY like to see some of your results now. Especially the used motor oil version. That sounds very interesting.

When you say brass hue, are you saying it leaves a sort of brass looking sheen to it? I know I don't want my aluminum to look anything like brass. I'm getting ready to start restoring some of my LiL Indian parts and this would bum me out if my wheels started to look like anything other than aluminum. So I'm just asking before I do something that I'd regret later. Hence the reason for seeing some examples.

It will leave everything with a brass hue when it is pulled from the tumbler. Wipe it off (provided it's just not a really, really porous casting), and voila, shiny aluminum.

I use motor oil because it helps keep the brass from sticking to the aluminum, but it works fine if you dry tumble.