Your minibike speed records?

I am interested how fast peoples minibikes can go, and what is the fastest they have ever been on a vintage minibike (not pocketbikes). My top speed on my scratch build is 18.4mph. Sounds slow, but doesn't feel like it when you have no suspension, and no brakes, and also a scratch built frame beneath you.

My honda 70 has a speedo and does 35. Some of my others like my Boonie, and my A-R will go faster, but at more RPMs

I also like to gear a lot of mine really low with big engines so that you get a neck snapping take off, and awesome climbing of small cliffs, etc. Also works well on my track to get off corners fast. On the straights I can just get my Honda 70 into 3rd gear before you have to back off to turn. A couple of the turns you can just get into 2nd before you let off and in a couple turns you just get to the top of first gear before letting off. A low geared mni with a big motor will eat the Honda up on the track. And...it's fun to get 'em all out there to do it. My buddy's Fox Street Scamp pulls the front wheel off the corners with a Honda motor.

Last edited:
GPS in my pocket last summer and it show 67 mph, I'm going to drop the main jet down some to make the engine last and get rid of some of the tire wobble.

My honda 70 has a speedo and does 35. Some of my others like my Boonie, and my A-R will go faster, but at more RPMs

I alos like to gear a lot of mine really low with big engines so that you get a neck snapping take off, and awesome climbing of small cliffs, etc. Also works well on my track to get off corners fast. On the straights I can just get my 70 into 3rd gear before you have to back off to turn. A couple of the turns you can just get into 2nd before you let off and in a couple turns you just get to the top of first before letting off. A low geared mni with a big motor will eat the Honda up on the track. And...it's fun to get 'em all out there to do it. My buddy's Fox Street Scamp pulls the front wheel off the corners with a Honda motor.
I agree, a ratio with more torque gives more fun and useablity. My bike has 10 inch wheels (whole wheel, not rims), and a 46 tooth bicycle sprocket on the axle, and a 10 tooth clutch. The rear sprocket is the largest it can be with the small-ish wheels; in fact, it can hit the ground when doing hard left turns. However, if I made the wheel bigger, and the sprocket too, I would'nt really go any faster.

Some pictures of the my minibike:

Attachments

Last edited:
I am interested how fast peoples minibikes can go, and what is the fastest they have ever been on a vintage minibike (not pocketbikes). My top speed on my scratch build is 18.4mph. Sounds slow, but doesn't feel like it when you have no suspension, and no brakes, and also a scratch built frame beneath you.
Looks like you have that bicycle speedo dialed in. :thumbsup: I haven't clocked the Lil Indian, but I will soon. My '78 Honda Express really isn't a mini, but it doesn't qualify as a scooter, moped or motorcycle, either, poor thing. It tops out at a nick less than 30 mph indicated. I don't have a photo of it in my computer. Here's one I gabbed off the internet - identical to mine.

Minibike drags will TELL THE TRUTH!

I heard alot of "claims" and bragging.....but you can prove your point this season when the Choppers Hotrod Association has it test and tune day at Thompson raceway park in Tropical Thompson Ohio located off of state rte 528..Granted,a test and tune day is for cars,motorcycles Snowmobiles"rubber tracks" and Jr. Dragsters...But..You can bring your minibike to the track and let it all hang out in either the 1/8th mile or do a big number in the 1/4 mile. Lets GET INVOLVED here and really make a showing on this. Its only 10 bucks at the gate to run whatcha brung. June 21st is a Sunday,Its fathers day,you will all be bugging out of Windber anyways...stop by and have some fun,or just watch..B.S. a little..but hey,if ya wanna brag,be ready to back it up on the track! :thumbsup:

ann0yed

Ha, that bike again! I swear that thing is a work of art. I can totally imagine how it would feel like tickling the dragon's tail to be going 18.4 mph on that thing! Daredevil!

-jonathan

Please elaborate on this!
My mikuni came with a 95 main jet, it topped about 45 but the last 1/4 throttle did nothing and was starving for gas. I moved up to 120 and that got me about 55 and ran well, then I installed a 135 and that got me the 67mph. Im going back down the 115 jet this summer to keep from hammering the motor to death and anything over 60 or so the tires ballooned up and created a nasty viberation/wobble and the rear tire was rubbing the powdercoating off my fender, the tires are only 2ply. I wish this mikuni had the bowl plug or a place to put one so I can fab up an adjustable main jet setup.

bajabeast

my bike came with a 6.5 which i replaced with a 13hp and a tav cant wait till summer to see how fast it really is, i now it does at least 50mph

Last edited:
need a lil info

my little bike we clocked at 38mph. my chopper goes much fater but we havnt clocked it. im working on geting brakes on it now :thumbsup:

Hey jeep do you think you could take a few close ups of both sides of your chopper for me, i really love that bike and would like to see it better. I would also like to know if you could share with us what type of tubing you used for the frt. forks?? THANKS.:smile:

thanks thats the only picture i have of it actually. Right now iv got it in pieces in the garage i took the engine off for my cat and im fitting an older briggs on it. Also im making a band brake and a clutch cover. ill take more pics when its done. The frame is made of old bicyles and the main triangle part is an excersise bike upside down. the engine base is just angle iron bed frame. i extended the front forks with the top bar of mountain bikes. i sleeved them at the welds for strength and i havnt had any bending issues. it is a little bouncy at high speed though because the front tire isnt balanced im sure because it has some bald spots.

As I was driving towards the "YOUR SPEED IS" sign it said 28MPH but I did not have a long enough run towards the sign to get up enough speed. I have since put an after market air filter, I think I gained some speed.

Back in about 1972, we took a 1970 Rupp Roadster and put a 5hp B&S on it that had a Webco camshaft and a flo-jet carb off of a 6hp B&S horizontal on it. We added a jackshaft sprocket that had two extra teeth on it. It would run (according to a chevy speedometer) 46 miles an hour on a flat road. Thats about as fast as I ever went or wanted to go on one. Thanks!!!