Moe's Open Class 420cc chopper

Nice lines! Just a little thought i had. To make a reverse gearbox you can take a peerless differential and mount the center section solid to the frame. Instant reverse gearbox and it doubles as a jackshaft :thumbsup: Might not hold up to all the power you got there though :laugh:

Thanks Guys! well for the gear box i plan on running two 3/4 shafts with some high speed bearings built into a steel box with some kind of removable sealed top and matching meshed straight cut gears so the two shafts will spin opposite directions. main concerns i had was weight and how to lubricate and seal the gears or if they even needed to be.. was also thinking about running them exposed.. Let me know what you guys think me and my buddy couldnt get much done on the bike today trying to figure this thing out lol. we actually picked up some parts today but realized the set up was on the heavy side.

jeep2003 ill have to look into the peerless thanks for the input!

Those are nice looking bends for using a pipe bender. I didn't notice too many kinks, did you pack the tubes with sand before bending them?
Thanks! With the right die for my bender the pipe I used bent really well. I've had trouble in the past bending thinner pipe or pipe that doesn't match up to the dies I have. I've personally never used the sand trick but would like to see how it works.:thumbsup:

Thanks Guys! well for the gear box i plan on running two 3/4 shafts with some high speed bearings built into a steel box with some kind of removable sealed top and matching meshed straight cut gears so the two shafts will spin opposite directions. main concerns i had was weight and how to lubricate and seal the gears or if they even needed to be.. was also thinking about running them exposed.. Let me know what you guys think me and my buddy couldnt get much done on the bike today trying to figure this thing out lol. we actually picked up some parts today but realized the set up was on the heavy side.

jeep2003 ill have to look into the peerless thanks for the input!
as i was laying in bed last night i thought to myself, why not use 2 straight cut gears on shafts to reverse the motor.

Here is the gear set up my buddy picked up the gears ended being way to massive! going with a smaller 1.70" gear instead of the 3 inchers in the pic. We plan to do anything we can do to save weight the pillow bocks will be drilled and ground down, the new gears we get we might even have a machine shop lighten them. the engine weighs 60 lbs!! :eek:

SupaFly has picked your build as the early favorite, and SupaFly is of the opinion that you should forget the reverse you don't need it and it will clutter it up.

SupaFly has picked your build as the early favorite, and SupaFly is of the opinion that you should forget the reverse you don't need it and it will clutter it up.
Do you always have to talk in 3rd person? :confused:

Jake, looks like your project will be a definite contender to wining the open class. :thumbsup:

I just cant see running the cylinder forward. Ill make it look good for you buddy one way or another

you young men have really good skills. i like the lines in the frame, especially the mild goose neck section, reminds of something chica would build.

delray

nice if you could incase the gears ,so they are not expose to dirt....etc.....and the case could hold oil too. i would think the straight cut gears would sound just like a gear drive unit........:thumbsup:

nice if you could incase the gears ,so they are not expose to dirt....etc.....and the case could hold oil too. i would think the straight cut gears would sound just like a gear drive unit........:thumbsup:

I agree,It would really put the cool factor to it.You have some mad skills, though it would take a little time to construct.The bike looks fantastic.

rmm727

I always thought it would be neat to use those timing belts some karts use as a belt drive primary with a clutch on the jackshaft like the full size choppers.