Moe's Open Class 420cc chopper

KB2ROCKET

encase the the gears in a metal housing with 4 oil seals for the shafts then put some gear lube in there and make sure it has a breather and a way to fill and drain it
this is a project within its self setting up the enguagement depth will be tricky use a piece of paper folded over this will give you about .008 thousands per side and .008 depth
good luck

Last edited:
Me thinks those gear are looking so sweet you need to encase them in perspex somehow, even if the lid of the box is slightly seethough with the oil being thrown around it would be wicked to show your mates the inside workings.

Awesome build - you should switch to full size and be on discovery channel

here are some pics of what i came up with to mount the gear assembly still plan to box the gears in, will have to relocate the starter solenoid running into space issues. but going together well. started on the forks also

encase the the gears in a metal housing with 4 oil seals for the shafts then put some gear lube in there and make sure it has a breather and a way to fill and drain it
this is a project within its self setting up the enguagement depth will be tricky use a piece of paper folded over this will give you about .008 thousands per side and .008 depth
good luck
Didnt even think about a breather! is that nessesary? and why? A see through top would be trick! Oh and for the seals because of how i have it setup i would only need one seal on each side. thanks for the tip on enguagement!

KB2ROCKET

Didnt even think about a breather! is that nessesary? and why?
maybe not but if heat builds up your gear box will become pressurized and could force oil past the seals. many industrial machines use non vented gear boxes filled with grease I would rather use gear oil that way you know it cant be pushed out of the way because it will always flow back. as far as how much paper to use when setting up depth you will need to see what your gears like best .
I like your project very much may I ask what your background is that gives you such high level fab. skills? keep up the good work :thumbsup:

delray

for a breather i would think you could use just a small brass filter that you could tap into the top of the case(maybe run extension tube). i wouldn't think it would have to be much. the big thing is just make sure the gears are set right or if off by little they could eat up real quick. if you use a gear lube that might rob little power from the motor:shrug:
i guess it depends on the type of metal the gears are made of and clearance etc...
pete jackson geardrives that i had in my chevys ran a loose/poor clearance and only had motor oil on them. but then again the two center gears only had to float on the bottom and top gears. that maybe something total different then what you are trying to do. yours are more fix gears.
also seen some gear cases use just tranny fuild........:shrug:

what it comes down to is,alot of us would like to see this work........:thumbsup:

Dude you have my vote for this build off for sure! Discovery Channel needs to make a MINI BIKE BUILD OFF SHOW with you vs....:shrug::laugh::thumbsup: Your skills are off the hook! :scooter::drinkup:

Didnt even think about a breather! is that nessesary? and why? A see through top would be trick! Oh and for the seals because of how i have it setup i would only need one seal on each side. thanks for the tip on enguagement!
I like your idea. If it's ok with your wallet go for a plexi or lexan top. Awesome build so far. any mods for the 420? what are you doing for a gas tank?

This has been a great build so far. You got lots of skill. That plexigalss or lexan top on the gearbox would be so cool. Can't wait to see more. :thumbsup:

I like your idea. If it's ok with your wallet go for a plexi or lexan top. Awesome build so far. any mods for the 420? what are you doing for a gas tank?
The gas tank will be custom as well, just waiting till its a roller to get the feel for what i want.. the 420 will get a billet rod for sure maybe some port\valve work and an advanced flywheel key.

KB2ROCKET

I am so following this build and looking forward to updates .
you have motivated me to do some more work on my 4 engined kart this weekend:thumbsup:

I am so following this build and looking forward to updates .
you have motivated me to do some more work on my 4 engined kart this weekend:thumbsup:
NICE!! thats good to hear! i gotta see that thing!

anyways guys there will be another update buy tuesday. Just got back from Vegas had a blast! But now need to get back to the everyday Grind! :grind:

dont be confused just following the info it will lead you 2 the truth:thumbsup:
I'm sorry,I just can't understand your post.They have no punctuation so it's incoherent to me and not a real sentence.:shrug: I'm sorry if that offends you. It could be your English translator is not working properly, in that case you mite try a different one.:thumbsup: