This better not interrupt my mini career...

So I was helping out today moving some file boxes at work. Well when I was tossing one of the 40+ pound ones up off the back of a truck on to a metal second floor storage landing about 12ft up. It got caught on the edge and decided to come back down... I reached out to catch it as my extended arm made a gruesome snapping sound and I watched as my bicep curled towards my shoulder. Anyway after it happened. I went to Human Resources and did the paperwork. While she was figuring out which medical facility to send me to I went out back and helped carry the other 40 or so file boxes the long way up the stairs with my good arm on my shoulder... Have to set a good example for the other employees. Lots of whiners at work...Getting the MRI in a few days. To see if it was the muscle or the tendon. Could mean surgery. Dr. said turning a screwdriver or wrench may not be the same again. Good thing it wasnt my good arm. Usually I don' t do any physical work at all during my job. But I am always glad to help when it comes to moving stuff when needed. The maintenance guy that usually gets stuck doing this type of job is a little guy and would have taken him all day. Being a big guy it was no big deal to move heavy boxes.Even one armed. Since I don't have to lift anything in general I WILL be back at work tomorrow even though the DR. would have given me a week off. I will just have my arm in a sling and will be awaiting the MRI to check the damage. Anyone have this happen to them?

buckeye

Distal biceps tendon rupture is not a good thing.
MRI of the elbow will show that it is torn from your radial head.
Easy fix but, usually requires surgery. If you don't fix it, you will have difficulty turn your hand in and out. Surgical approach is in the crease of your elbow.
Anchors drilled into the radial head and sutured back.
In a sling for aprox 4-6 weeks. Begin physical therapy at about 3-4 weeks,with gradual increase in motion.
Should regain full range of motion and strength.
Any questions?

Easy fix but, usually requires surgery. If you don't fix it, you will have difficulty turn your hand in and out. Surgical approach is in the crease of your elbow.
In a sling for aprox 4-6 weeks. Begin physical therapy at about 3-4 weeks,with gradual increase in motion.
Any questions?
DR Buckeye? I never knew.

Man that's tough. I've separated my shoulder and broken the same on two more times. I blink and my back looks like a twizzler. When we get bad weather sometimes the pain gets to me.
You can't win at my job. My patent company is hatfield meats. They preach safety like crazy. They want everything reported. However, as soon as you do your labeled as an injury and it seems those people go nowhere.
Get well soon Gump. We need you at Winber when Buckeye arrives!

Back in the day..I tore my tricep and bicep slightly. I never had the surgury so know i have a few lumps from scar tissue. Hope everything works out for you and its not so bad.:thumbsup:

On a seperate note..Buckeye..you know all this medical stuff...but cant figure out a belt drive?:scared:

Any questions?
Full range of motion and strength in approximately how long of a timeframe?
Surgery doesn't scare me. I have a high tolerance for pain. I look cool in a sling. My biggest fear is that I will have trouble sleeping. I cant sleep on my back. I never could. That might be my only concern.

buckeye

Should have full ROM in about 6-8 weeks. Sometines lose a little extension. Due to the tendon has to be trimmed a bit to get the ragged edge cleaned up. Full strength hopefully by about 3-4 months.
Sleep in a recliner. You will or maybe will have a posterior splint,or half cast, on for the first 10-14 days. Depends on the method of repair. There are a couple different ways to fix it. Some do the anchors. They are like screws with heavy suture manufactured onto them.
Others drill a hole in the neck of the proximal radius just below the head. Then run sutures through the hole and pull the tendon down into the hole and sew the tissue all around it.
Some folks don't go with getting them fixed. But if not the lose strenghth in turning the hand in and out. Supination and pronation.

One real big issue is possible damage to the radial nerve. That is real important. Must be very careful during the procedure to identify and protect it during the disection of the muscle.

Take care of your self Mr Gumpit , at least its not prime minibiking weather , just get healed up before Windber.
I snapped my achilies tendon at work about 6 years ago had to have surgery to reattach it and was off on comp for 5 months barely covered the bills , but therapy made it as good as new.
Hope it heals up quick.

Have to set a good example for the other employees. Lots of whiners at work...

Last time I made filed a medical aid report I was disaplined for allowing myself to be injured on the job.
That and not reporting it right away because I tried to carry on with an unknown to me buldged disk in my neck.

My employer has killed 11 men this year.
We are setting new records all the time in the maming and killing dept.

I think if you could come up with a cost effective aproach to convert human bodies into a substitute for industrial lubricants or fuel combined with a dead peasent life insurance policy for the company they would probably close the Health and safety dept all togther and send new hires directly to the meat grinder dept instead of wasting time trying to get a lick of work out of us.

If you are lucky to have a good job and decent employer hang on to them reward that with loyalty and hard work.
If your not, God help you these days.

NOS:
Serial number 142 037, stencil 601. electrical peasant.

Neck

Growing up is optional
Sounds painful, but I could be wrong. Personally, if I saw my bicep roll up towards my shoulder, I'd FREAK OUT! Screw setting a good example, and if the guy that should be doing it is too wimpy, they should probably find a new guy. I'm really sorry you got hurt, and yes, this will affect you Mini riding for a while!

search tore my bicep on this site, i tore mine at windber this year , black and blue from elbow to shoulder, and a popeye bicep ached like hell ,still does at times, i just got insurance back so i went to docs he scheduled a mri, it seems to be recovering i baby it a little if i dont it aches and i start to show some bruising near my shoulder, overhead or arm extended work is the worst also using a screwdriver realy sucks