1968 Taco 22 restoration

Starting to restore a 1968 Taco 22. The frame is in bad shape, someone bent the upper tubes to fit a bigger motor, cut and raked the front end. I will try to post some pictures.

I'm having trouble with the point where the lower front tubes come up and meet the steering tube. Someone had cut and rewelded them. I recut and fixed and cleaned the bad welding. As you can see I tack welded a
12-3/16" support just behind the motor plate and a 12" support on the top front of the motor plate. But as you can see the lower tubes are comming up too high to meet the steering head. I did add a little to the tube length but only about 1/4" to fix where I had to cut the tube from the steering head. Do I have the spacing right between the upper and lower tubes? 12-3/16 and 12" at the motor plate?

Neck

Growing up is optional
Top of bottom tube to bottom of top tube behind plate is 12 1/2, motor plate to bottom of top tube tube is about 12 1/4.

Thanks, Is there some more Taco 22 owners that can check this for me. I have one for 12-3/16 and one for 12-1/2 just back of the motor plate. I could also use a good picture of the steering head welding top and bottom. Sorry to ask so much I just want to do a good job at saving this poor frame.

Starting to restore a 1968 Taco 22. The frame is in bad shape, someone bent the upper tubes to fit a bigger motor, cut and raked the front end. I will try to post some pictures.
I wonder if these changed from year to year? I measure mine and it's 13 inches from the the top of the motor plate(front or rear) to the bottom of the top tube.

Neck

Growing up is optional
Yes the dimension changed, I believe when they went to the wide frame with the high spring fork, my 1969 Taco 22 measures 13 inches between the frame rails top to bottom.

I have the narrow frame. But it looks to me that the 12-3/16 and 12" on the motor plate is a little short. I think the 12-1/2 12-1/4 my work better? Still hoping for a good picture of the bottom and side of the steering head. Thanks, Mike.

george3

Just weld it all square top rails to bottom rails. Its not that big of an issue. taco pre 69 had 3 different measurements on the Taco 22 frame. some frames in the rear upright tubing were not squeezed, some had a short squeezed, and some long. I think all three were a bit different hights. If you just run the top tubing square with the bottom should look just fine.