6.5 baja heat minibob "black betty"

this will be an intro and build thread

name is chris, live in culpeper va, 25 yrs old...was introduced to minibikes at a jeep show in York PA by some friends i meet with up there. 3 of them had minis (doodlebug style) as soon as i got back i started looking. picked up a Baja Heat on CL for $200, guy couldnt get it started and didnt have the headlight because it rear ended a 4 wheeler, fake tank was also dented. since i was planning on modding it, it wasnt too worried. i got it home, cleaned the carb and replaced the spark plug, first pull it fired up. i was in business.
the plans i have for this bike is to make it a mini modern bobber, springer seat, peanut tank, drag bars, swapped front forks for a narrower front tire/wheel combo. all flat black, havent decided if i want to white wall the tires and/or paint the wheels red or just leave it all black

heres some inspiration for my bike

heres when i got it home, sitting on a 360 engine block coffee table im making (no top yet)...it makes a good bike stand if i say so myself

heres where i started the springer seat, made a seat pan out of 16ga steel and welded a reinforcement strip of 1/8" steel to the bottom, then drilled holes on the outside edge

heres the seat wrapped in marine vinyl, used 1/8" leather strap to attach the vinyl to the seat pan, there is 1/4" foam padding under the vinyl to provide a little padding in addition to the springs

heres how it sits now, i had to cut off the stock seat support, i cut it shorter and welded it back on lower in the frame, the springs are mounted to that, i made some tabs for the front pivot point of the seat, they're welded to the frame, made a bracket thats on the bottom of the seat, the springs are a little too soft for me so ill need to add 1, maybe 2 more...they're 2" springs so not a lot of travel. in this picture it also shows the drag bars i got, and obviously i tood the fake tank off

i've heard they're almost exactly the same as a kx60 front but cheaper so i have a complete front end from a 1980 kdx80 on its way (forks, trees, tire, wheel, axle, brake, brake lever)that ill be putting on...hoping its just bolt on but we'll see...anybody have anything i should prepare myself for if its not bolt on (i've never messed with bikes and forks and stuff) heres a picture of the fork and tire, this way i should have front brakes now too to help with the TAV once funds allow me to get it

looks like the peanut tank is being more of a challenge than i had thought, cant find one for a decent price.

please let me know what you guys think so far, words of advice, things i should do/shouldnt do. thanks, ill try to keep this updated as i go along and make progress.

Im still waiting on the front end to show up...i havent taken the stock front end off yet and since i dont have the replacement i cant just look at see if it'll work, but does anybody know if the stock baja steering bearings will work with the kdx80 steering stem? or if the stock kdx80 bearings will work with the stock baja steering tube thinger?

If you already haven't checked Ebay check out "gofastboy" seller. I got a 4liter tank from them for less then $50. They have a 4L chrome tank on sale. The 4L measures 15"L x 9"W x 7"H. I put mine on my Zooma Hawg Ty-which looks alot like the BAJA Warrior. Good Luck

Last edited:
i've seen that tank, that will probably be my back up option if i cant find a peanut tank, chances are the tank will be the last touch to this project unless i find a keeper...even after the tav probably.
im back from vacation now and got the new to me (circa 1980) front end...hopefully tonight ill be able to take off the stock baja front and figure out what i need to do to get it all mounted. it didnt come with any bearings so hopefully the stock baja bearings will work, thanks for the heads up MiniBike Paul

:gunsmilie:Sons of Anarchy tonight!!!:gunsmilie:

Last edited:
This is a great project. I been gone for a while, but glad to be back to see stuff like this. Cant' wait to see more pics man. :thumbsup:

This is a great project. I been gone for a while, but glad to be back to see stuff like this. Cant' wait to see more pics man. :thumbsup:
thanks, ill try to keep this updated and not let it get stagnant. hopefully the minibike gods let it happen smooth without any major problems

last night i was able to get the stock front off and mock up the new one. my terminology is probably wrong but the steering stem on the new triple tree is shorter than the stock head tube. so i cut the head tube down to fit. the stock upper bearing seems to work fine but the lower i think will need to be different...the steering stem has a larger diameter for the lowest 1/2" so the bearing doesnt slide all the way down. my solution is to either try to find and use a different bearing to make it slide all the way down, or ghetto fab it and tack the stock bearing race level where it necks down so it doesnt shift and gives the bearing a nice level solid surface to operate.

i failed to take any pictures during the "install" so i snapped a picture of how it sat this morning before leaving for work. ill try to get some close ups this evening if time allows it.
starting to come together, forks are a little long

once i get it installed how i want and feel it will hold up, going to paint the fork and wheel semi flat black

I would think that sliding the fork tubes up thru the triple clamps would get the attitude more like the big bike you keep showing. Note that your frame is way high in front!

Also, note how much further back the rear wheel is, relative to the seat, on the big bike. Consider a pair of my frame extenders
oh yeah, too high for me. doesnt help that the tire is 21.5" diameter. ill have to double check tonight but i think ill have to ream the hole larger to slide the fork tube through, doubt the reamer i have it large enough. then it comes to a matter of how much will i be able to raise it before hitting the handlebars without any risers.

have you been able to test the brackets out yet? how much for two brackets shipped to 20187, and do you have any leftover tube you used to sleeve the frame that could be thrown in?

after thinking about it for a little bit, would this be possible....

since i want the front to sit a little lower and cant move the forks up through the upper tree (without making the hole bigger, and not having an upper clamp would bother me) could i undo the fork plug at the top, compress the fork close to where i want it, and then put the fork plug back on...this SHOULD create a suction and not allow the fork to fully extend...thus lowering the ride height. it will shorten the overall range of motion of the fork but if i dont like it i could always undo the bolt, breaking the suction and its back to how it is now.

input?

MiniBike Paul

have you been able to test the brackets out yet? how much for two brackets shipped to 20187, and do you have any leftover tube you used to sleeve the frame that could be thrown in?
No I haven't finished mine, Modding Out may be close! $25.00 shipped and no i don't have the tube, but you would find it easily!

Forget the compressing the front end with vacuum!! Find another way!

i may get a set once i get other details worked out

you're right, need to find another way, all i can think of is a limit strap, modding the upper tree mount to allow it to slide through then hope the single clamp works, raking the front, getting a different fork spring or cutting the existing ones down to lower it

Maybe consider modding the frame rake and trail....leave the forks alone cut the top tube and the down tubes....would need a frame jig of some sort but I think that would look be a better look?

C9H13NO3

No I haven't finished mine, Modding Out may be close! $25.00 shipped and no i don't have the tube, but you would find it easily!

Forget the compressing the front end with vacuum!! Find another way!
Finished mine and tested them out.

Works well, just make sure to use two nuts on the chain adjuster.

Took it in some loose gravel and even with the TAV I had problems getting the rear end to slide around a turn.

Also, MBP, have you gotten the money I sent you yet?