70's Snowco Nomad in good ol SC

So if this thing ever decides to puke is there another differential I can replace it with?? O and also does anyone know where to get a tecumseh throttle linkage its a 3 piece setup once I get that and the clutch belt I should be set. I have the SnowCo part number for the clutch belt but I do not know how to cross reference it if anyone knows where to look it up. These trikes had a 5hp and a 8hp setup which mine has the 8hp and the belts are slightly different.

Hi Slaw31 : Back in the 1970's the comet systems used belts that were only 5/8 inch wide and today they have gone to 3/4 inch wide. There is two types of comet torque converters used they are both used and you will need to show pictures of the two half's there is the symmetrical and the asymmetrical the symmetrical has the face of the two sides of the pulley have an equal 13 degree angle on the sheave face for a 26 degree collective angle. This is a 20 series Comet and uses a belt that has the same equal taper to the two sides and this called a symmetrical system. The other system is a series 30 and it is called asymmetrical and the one pulley or sheave is almost flat but does have a 2 1/2 degree face on the fixed side of the driver or driver or driven unit the opposite face is at 18 degrees and the belts used on the 30 series are directional and have an arrow to show the direction. The 30 series is mounted so the the two movable faces one on each of the two half's are mounted on the same plane with the normal driver having the fixed side against the engine block. Alignment is precise and the belt diameter is set by knowing the center to center distance between the engine shaft ans the mounting jack shaft and belts have a + or - of 1/8 of an inch to properly shift. And the only lubrication used is a dry film lube never use a belt dressing on these systems. I have a comet book that will list some of the belts needed you need to supply information and the number in your manual it might be listed. As for the differential a peerless is the most common and they are still being made.
Steve :scooter:

I have been doing some research when I got it and it is a 20 series both sides are symmetrical. I did not know about the belt width though. In the manual it says that the shafts from center to center should be at 7 1/4 inches. The driven pulley is a 7" diameter with a 5/8" bore and the driver is a 1" bore.

On Peerless diffs they recommend Bentonite Grease p/n 788067A. Comes in a 32 ounce squeeze bottle. You can get from Partstree.com or Outdoordistributors.com. I have 5 diffs and use it in all of them without any problems.

belt me

I have been doing some research when I got it and it is a 20 series both sides are symmetrical. I did not know about the belt width though. In the manual it says that the shafts from center to center should be at 7 1/4 inches. The driven pulley is a 7" diameter with a 5/8" bore and the driver is a 1" bore.
My comet book list the TC88 5/8 inch wide belt for a 7 5/16 to 7-3/8 inch center to center when used with a 7 inch driver.
The Comet order # is 200422A with a belt marking 883-85
Hope this helps.
Steve :scooter:

33-612 is the part number in my manual. And by the part number its listed as "Belt 7" 3/4 wide"?? I am not sure what that means.

Back to the book if it is a 20 series 7 inch driven and a 1 inch bore driver and the sam center to center distans ( 7 5/16 to 7 3/8 ) then the comet order number is 203581A and marked on the belt 884-85 . the number you have must be a part number in the
SnowCo parts manual. Again I hope this helps
Steve:scooter:

Back to the book if it is a 20 series 7 inch driven and a 1 inch bore driver and the sam center to center distans ( 7 5/16 to 7 3/8 ) then the comet order number is 203581A and marked on the belt 884-85 . the number you have must be a part number in the
SnowCo parts manual. Again I hope this helps
Steve:scooter:
Yeah I was using the SnowCo manual's number. Once I get my clutch in I will get it all measured up. The holes on the frame are slotted so I could adjust it unless that changes the gearing.

Slaw… Regarding the differential, the case of the one you that have pictured looks like the same as the Sperry Rand Tricub and Minicub diffs. I believe that these were made by Peerless too, but no longer in production. I have found this diff used on old (70s) Toro rear engine riding mowers, but every application seems to have different axle lengths, i.e. long on one side short on the other. The gears on the axle ends appear to be interference fit only so probably any axle configuration can be created easily with simple shaft stock and a press. The interesting thing about your photo is that it looks like the axle shafts change diameter where they enter the diff case. The std axle diameter on all the applications of this diff I’ve seen is 7/8” full length. I'm guessing yours are 7/8" diam inside the case.

I’ve been using the Bentonite grease in these diffs too. These diffs have no seals or orings on the output shafts, so if you use normal grease it will soon be accumulating all over the rear end of your vehicle.

Minicub diff.
View attachment 37712