a cool doodlebug/mustang scooter story

james c

Cork's Mustang Story
By Cork Marcheschi

I had left my studio in Pacifica to grab a couple of sandwiches at Sam’s Deli but when I got there, Sam’s Deli had been spirited away and the sign read that a NEW deli would replace it. I liked Sam and his wife. This pair made sandwiches of integrity. Sam called every body BUDDY –male, female, young or old – you were Sam’s sandwich buddy. Maybe because Sam and wife were close to 60 or spoke with an accent or had never decorated, they had doomed themselves to the “upper middle class urban sprawl blues!” I felt a minor sense of loss; change at my age hits close to the heart. I walked down to the other sandwich place and on my way I was stopped by a powerful vision. I had to catch my breath – like an impossible jewel mounted on the asphalt was a 45-year-old Mustang motorcycle. If one of Victoria’s Secret models had parked next to it in a pink convertible, I wouldn’t have noticed.

I am a collector by nature and art and art history have been my life. The pursuit and understanding of beauty in all its forms is my business and I stood thunderstruck by the little cycle/scooter/lawn mower engined piece of pure emotion and unique engineering. I was in love!!!

Four years before this vision, I was interviewed on a radio broadcast. The show was about artists working in the public realm. I was completing a sculpture in a New Jersey rail station atrium. I was asked if I could be available for an interview on the site and I agreed. I spoke with the interviewer who would ask all five of the interviewed artist the same questions. No big deal, I do interviews well and am comfortable with a mic in my face. It all went fine till the last question, which she announced as “For a last question I always like to know if there is anything in your past that you have given up and would like to have back?”

Before I could think my mouth dropped open and words that I didn’t speak exited my body: “My Mustang motorcycle from 1960.” I didn’t understand my own response until this moment in front of the Mustang parked in the Linda Mar shopping center.

I wandered back to my studio without getting any lunch and thought about what I had just seen and how deeply it reached into me and found a place of great happiness.

I was 12 years old in 1957; I lived in an Italian enclave on the east side of Burlingame, California. I had two passions in my young life. One was the rock n roll and rhythm n blues of the day, which was easy to access – 99 cents got me a 45 and KDIA played the tunes, so I was set.

But #2 desire was more illusive: it had to do with movement and motors. I wanted a mini bike – I wanted something with wheels and a motor. I had watched other boys whose dad’s got them into 1/4 midget’s, and go-karts, but my dad wasn’t going to go there. Sad fact of the matter is my Dad and I never shared anything and we still don’t. My single focused passion was finally recognized by my mom. She watched me buy motorcycle magazines and read them cover-to-cover; she saw me use math trying to figure out engine displacement – I learned to read graphs from torque curve charts. My insistent pushing finally found a sympathetic ear in a distant cousin who lived in South San Francisco in another Italian enclave. The Gastone family had a son who had owned a 1946 Doodlebug. He had driven it till it wouldn’t go no mo’ and then it went into the chicken coop. Many years of chicken dust, chicken droppings, feathers and chicken feed made the scooter look like it had been resting on the ocean floor for 40 years. It was covered in poop and feather barnacles. It was beautiful! I excavated my wondrous little gem. My mom and I tossed it into the back of our stationwagon and it was mine. My mom – what she didn’t do for me – looked at the scooter as if it was the source of all disease but she saw the love in my eyes and closed hers.

For the next week I cleaned the thing and for once in my life I enjoyed cleaning. Mr. Gastone remembered that it had stopped running because of something electrical. There is only one thing that is electrical on a Briggs and Stratton engine and that is the magneto.

The guy across the street (Gino – another Italian) was a mechanic and he showed me how to test the spark. There wasn’t any so he showed me the flywheel/magneto setup and scratched a part number down and off I went to the power mower store. Gino helped me install the magneto and then showed me how to use the little kick-starter. Gino had a daughter; she was kinda vapid ( her name was Velma) and seemed to have no interests, other than B level movie magazines. I think Gino’s cottage-cheese-personalitied daughter helped him to understand something about the importance of this boy and mini bike moment. It was a guy thing! I can still feel the anticipation...kicked with enough force to toss myself over backwards...I didn’t feel a thing when my butt hit the concrete, because the motor started. Gino held the handlebars and laughed an appreciative laugh. I couldn’t believe it – the pop pop pop of the little engine had brought a smile to my face that was about to rip itself into my ears. There are not many moments in life that are pure joy but this was definitely one of them. I was blissfully happy – and now after 50 years I know how true and rare those feelings are.

There were no brakes, no lights and definitely no license, so I was ready to GO!!!! And go I did – everywhere in Burlingame, San Mateo and the occasional field trip where my mom or grandfather would transport me and the BUG to a remote location.

For three and a half years I rode that thing daily – IT WAS FREEDOM – I didn’t know a thing about freedom until the Bug rolled me down the street and I felt it. I didn’t understand that freedom had many faces and that you could feel free as an end in itself.

When I was 15½ I could get a learner’s permit that would allow me to drive a motorcycle. I had been saving my paper route money for three years and I new what I was going to buy: a MUSTANG. The Mustang is the Unicorn of the scooter/cycle world for it is neither a scooter or a motor cycle. It is a unique statement of a wondrous moment in America. 1945 to 1965, the post war honeymoon that America had with itself. These 20 years were also the life of the Mustang. I found one for $80, a 1954 that had been owned by an adult who used it for transportation to his job at United Airlines. I didn’t know how to shift gears or use the clutch so Mr. Twissleman, the bike’s owner, taught me how to ride. I gave him 78 one dollar bills and 8 quarters, an hour latter I was on my way home. THUMP THUMP THUMP, a deep powerful sound that was friendly and serious at the same time had replaced the pop pop pop. Again I experienced large-scale joy. My hands tingled from the vibration; my butt went to sleep; but I was happy. The Mustang took me into San Francisco and as far south as Santa Cruz. I rode by myself and started to understand something about being with myself. The Mustang and I were very good friends.

In 1963, when I graduated from high school and went to college, the Mustang was sold for tuition money.

Over the passing years my love for motorized things on two wheels was alive and well. I never found much heart in the Japanese bikes, I always liked the British. I had several Norton’s and drove them cross-country. Great trips and never a breakdown (the Norton had an oil cooler and Mikuni carb – I had also lost the prince of darkness Lucas ignition for a Daytona electronic setup.)

I had been busted at 14 years old for driving my Doodlebug at night without light and license. While the officer wrote up the ticket he told me in a stern but caring way, “You feel invincible now like nothing can happen to you – well one day that feeling may slip away and if it does you should stop riding.” In 1985 I was on a stretch of highway somewhere in Nevada, it was clear and sunny with no traffic on the road: I looked down at the asphalt as I had done hundreds of times before but this time I could feel myself hitting the pavement. I remembered the cop 28 years earlier and what he had said and it resonated with me. I never felt secure on my bike again.

james c

In 1986 I sold my last Norton.

I had been teaching at the Minneapolis College of Art since 1970 and it was time to get back home to San Francisco, my parents were getting older and I really missed living by the ocean and the redwoods. So I sold my interest in my home, packed the trailer and drove my life back home, where I would be starting over.

Back in my Pacifica studio I am asked about the lunch I was supposed to get and I had forgotten. I told the guys at the studio the story and they went back to see the Mustang. They returned with sandwiches and a lunch conversation circled about the SOMETHING that the little bike had. They had felt it too. I put forth the idea that the honesty and essential nature of the design separated it from most contemporary objects. The conversation continued but it took on the sound of voices in an aircraft hanger, the hollow reverberation grew as I receded further into my head. My experiences with scooters happened at a golden time, when freedom simply meant untethered movement. How elegantly simple and now how illusive.

My attention finally return to the table and without any awareness of where the conversation was I drop in: “simple and easy are very different.”

Simple is elegant, it is an understanding of what is necessary, it is toast with melted butter, it is a plaster wall that is smooth and plumb.

Simple is what a thing is before it has been changed to what it is not. Simple is understandable and clear. Simple is achieved by honesty and directness of thought. Simple always bears the mark of the mind that saw the answer.

Simple is not EASY and the two should never be confused. Easy is a step away from working or from thinking; easy can be a resulting solution of the awareness of simple or a consequence of simple.

While pure EASY is relinquishing responsibility for knowing about what you are surrounded by.

TV is EASY, and it infects its EZ into millions. Cars do all the thinking for you, you need not know anything about your car other than to watch the lights and do what they tell you to do. Most of us use computers but we are at their mercy if they choose to take a vacation.

The lunch table was now quiet and I continued on. I understand that scooter. I looked at it and it was as if no time had passed since I last started one. It made me feel comfortable and nostalgic in a sleepy way. It made me want to run away from life and feel freedom again.

Since that lunch I decided that a feeling that strong needed to be followed up on. I would sell a few of my Fauré enamel vases and replace them in my collection with a couple of Mustangs. I was going to find a Pony for my wife and a Thoroughbred for me. I packed up my two vases and away they went to Sotheby’s in New York. I then started to search for scooters. My first stop was the Mustang Owners’ Club out of Texas. The website was designed very well and worked great. I spent a couple of hours looking at the beautiful pictures and reading all of the info on the site.

The bikes had the same quality as a well-designed tool. Their function was obvious from the design. You also understood that this little bike wasn’t a toy.

I looked at these bikes for a long time and I looked at the men who restored and owned them. They were mature; at 62 years old I was probably in the middle of the pack. As I read it became clear that many of these were hothouse bikes. They were grown to perfection and then displayed as objects of great beauty and desire. I appreciated this Mustang as sculpture direction but for me I wanted to ride; I wanted to get on and go – go nowhere special just go!

The Mustang Club website gave me an idea about prices and what to look for. With youthful fervor I did what I had done in the past I went to Craig’s list. I ran and ad looking for Mustangs, and sitting in bed with my daughter I tapped out my request and sent it into the mysterious electronic ether. The next day I got two hits. One for a Pony and one for a Thoroughbred.

I called and asked questions then asked for additional pictures and both parties sent the pictures US mail. The Mustangers are not all on the information superhighway.

I waited for the photos to arrive – try to remember sending some cereal box tops for a baking soda submarine and how long the wait was. In the meantime, I contacted the Mustang Motorcycle Club of America. I sent a note alerting the general mail box person that I was a writer and was going to write about my search for a Mustang and if this kinda thing rang any bells, I would love to hear from people.

The next day Don Cook sent me a great note and welcomed me to the quest for the elusive Mustang. Don forwarded my note to Troy Harrison, the designer of the website and a Mustang owner. Troy was very friendly, open and willing to help. He passed on a few other names and so began a cascade of names and information. The little motorcycles had cast a spell on a group of men who had chosen to put energy, thought and quiet passion into them. The members of the owners’ club were keepers of a legacy that could have slipped away and possibly not even exist as a footnote in American culture – BUT due to the spirit of the Mustangs design that wasn’t going to happen now. I don’t think it matters what you love or are passionate about as long there is something!!! Extracting joy from contemporary life is a puzzle that many never achieve.

Over the next couple of weeks I sent Troy pictures of possible bikes and he responded or sent them on to another member who would then respond. I love the search and gathering new information that is of no particular use except to lubricate my aging brain.

I found a Pony that looked good and I liked the owner so we struck a deal. The next day I did the same with a Thoroughbred. One in Oregon and one in Pennsylvania. I hung up the phone after arranging to have the bikes shipped to me and inside my head I heard a scream: What the hell are you doing!@#$%^&*()?

I had heard it before...

I let the echo die down and got on with my life. The safe side of the street may be safe but nothing great happens unless you put yourself in risky situations.

The Simple and Easy dichotomy continued to roll around in my head. Was I finally feeling the future push me out the back door?

I remember the future that was presented to me as a child. The future was bright and shiny and it would free us from the drudgery of common work. The Futurama shows that toured America in the 1950’s and early 60’s were fun and the future was presented like an amusement park ride. Of course when we got to the place that THAT FUTURE was supposed to be we were very disappointed. So here I am in 2007, I have a cell phone, two computers, cable TV and use eBay. My life is harder than before I had this stuff. I don’t have more time that I can use in any meaningful way, I can’t fix my computer, I can’t fix my phone, I can’t fix my car. And many of the little things I could fix, I can’t open without destroying. I feel as though I am being asked to relinquish my relationship to the objects that surround me. The digital world asks me to surrender to it and I am not going gently into that dark night! I don’t want to sound angry because I am not. I am a curious observer who participates in the contemporary but brings six decades of experience as a filter.

I get a call from Raoul – he is the truck driver that is going to deliver the Pony – WOW! I was excited – I was really excited. The next hour took forever but finally a 16-wheeler pulls up and out comes my yellow Pony.

I had an adrenaline dry mouth the guys from my studio all came out and looked at the unique little bit of America’s past.

The only thing left to do was ride it. I hadn’t been on a bike in 21 years.

The last bike I kicked over was a British 850 cc twin. I had learned to put the bike on the center stand, balance my weight on both arms on the handle bars, lift my entire weight and then bring it down with a follow through action. I was able to start a 600 cc Matchless single with that technique. Well needless to say the little Mustang didn’t need that much coaxing and all that I managed to do with my over enthusiastic display was to put a bruise the size of a cantaloupe on my left leg directly behind my knee. I thought about starting my Doodlebug for the first time. A couple of more kicks and it fired up. I needed this.

Since this sweet moment I have received my Thoroughbred and I have pulled the Doodlebug out of my dad’s basement. I am teaching my wife to ride the Pony, my 8-year old daughter to ride the Doodlebug and I love the TB.

I look at all three of these bikes and there is comfort and reassurance in recognizing the bits and pieces. I ride by the ocean and up into the hills, The size, weight and power are perfect for a past midlife crisis.

I am very happy that I traded French Art Deco enamel vases for something that has brought past joy back into my life.

— Cor

CarPlayLB

Good read James...thanks for sharing!

I recently met a guy who has a Mustang and original Powell Bros. I was in awe of the bikes...they are gorgeous.

james c

Have you picked it up yet? Meeting Tony mid month with a delivery.
i picked up the kingman twister about a month ago, 99 bucks off ebay, stayed in laughlin, won 400 playin slots, so it was a freebie! i have something in the works that is in az. if it pans out, ill check with you?

Great story James : I had a man here in Portland who I visited a couple of times who was 80 years old used a cane and was legal blind and had over 50 scooters and still looking he stored 5 or 6 inside the house and just about every brand of Powell's ever made as well as Salsbury scooters and Cushman's the one I wanted was the Mustang delivery trike. Sadly he past away and his step son who lives just 3 blocks away from me inherited all the collection and I don't know his plans for all the units.
The Mustangs are so special the price is always high.
James did you get the ad I sent you
Steve :scooter:

james c

Great story James : I had a man here in Portland who I visited a couple of times who was 80 years old used a cane and was legal blind and had over 50 scooters and still looking he stored 5 or 6 inside the house and just about every brand of Powell's ever made as well as Salsbury scooters and Cushman's the one I wanted was the Mustang delivery trike. Sadly he past away and his step son who lives just 3 blocks away from me inherited all the collection and I don't know his plans for all the units.
yes i did steve! i have them in my hands as i type.
thanks for thinking of me!

james c

my scooter build is a custom job,
gladden 75 engine (used in disneys autotopia go karts 1955)
ebay mustang stallion frame repop
trail machine burman 3 speed
mustang thorobred forks, spoke wheels,fenders and tanks.