Alsport Trisport ? Help id VIN ?

Hello,
I recently acquired two Alsports. One is a 339cc Kohler. The engine is model number SK3402AS. Serial number on the neck is 1 25747. I assume it's a 74? Anyone with advice on how the vin decodes would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

wjustice

Steve Durham may help here but.... The 340as engine I believe was used in the phase III. Does this frame have dual tubes running from the front radius mount to the engine mount? Also most people herelike to see pics as do I, so if possible pay some as they can help.

wjustice

This thing is gonna be LOUD. At least the stock expansion chambers had muffling shell on them. It also has a different primary clutch then normal. I'm not sure what it is until I get my books to look at. The rollbar tank is an add-on and should have one like your other trike. The factory expansion chambers went up over the engine and through the center of the rollbar, hanging from the brackets the tank is mounted on.

It's loud but not that bad. I'll try to get some video of it running up soon. Thanks for all the continued help in figuring out this unusual item! We're having a blast with it so far.

Thanks again Steve for all your wisdom. We're figuring out what we've got a little at a time! Your knowledge of these trikes has been a tremendous help so far!

Well here is a picture of a sad deal only thing that's sad is that I sold them all.

The Tri-Sport RTS-5 The Rokon Trail Breaker and the Tri-Sport RTS 440 with dual pipes. It was a 440CC Kohler engine out of a snowmobile that was ported.
It had neck snapping engagement rpm of about 3500 RPM and came to me with dual pumper carbs. I converted it over to a single Walboro carb.

Hi cincygirl : Yes the pipes just screamed let's race and the sound was just great and I used them when on the sand and better roads. When We raced in the deserts we used the stock Kohler muffler. When I sold the off road parts and the two frames there was 3 sets of pipes 2 Tri-Sport pipes and one set made by Bassani Exhaust.

It was a long time ago the racing days but the thrill lives on in my memory like it was yesterday.

Awesome pics Steve D!

"It was a long time ago the racing days but the thrill lives on in my memory like it was yesterday."

As long as that's still true, you will never be old:thumbsup:

Phase III Racer (?) Pics and album

I took pics of the alleged Phase III Racer with some details. Any thoughts or comments on confirming the identity would be appreciated. I believe you guys are absolutely correct but am thrown by one detail. The dual shocks on the rear which are a mod, I suppose? Check it out:

Here's the whole album with some more details like brakes, etc:
1974 Phase III Racer with mods (we think) - Old Mini Bikes Photo Gallery

wjustice

Dual shocks on the rear were a not too uncommon mod. Easy to do and it handled the weight better. The primary clutch looks like a Salsbury 815/816. Aluminum hub - 815, steel hub - 816. I'm not sure why it has 2 sprockets on the jackshaft but they look different, maybe a 9 and a 10t for a quick change. That thing is gonna have a load of power. Piped 340as engines are in the 50hp range. These things get you from 0 to holy crap in just a couple seconds. Been there done that!