Alsport Trisport ? Help id VIN ?

Dual shocks was probably the first modification most riders would do. I forget the brand of shocks I used but they had a adjustable dampening valve plus the spring adjustment.
We also used dual sprockets when using the single #40 chain. My race trike used dual row # 40 chain. Remember we were using the Kelsey Hays caliper on the jack shaft the brakes on the axles came later and were made by Borg Warner. Chain breakage was not a ton of fun if you parted a chain climbing a big hill.
My race trike had a custom made fuel tank that was about 6 gallons.
Steve :scooter:

james c

please dont mess with your carbs! they run any angle or direction or upside down or rightside up. no matter!!!!!!!!!!!! you just need your vacuum hooked up right

There is no carb problem on this Phase III. It runs great. My other one had a carb problem with Tillotson/Canadian Curtiss-Wright setup. That's been resolved now.

Steve-I figured this must have been a mod, just didn't see it in anyone's pics here or elsewhere on the web so I was curious. I'm also curious about top speed on one of these?

Dual shocks on the rear were a not too uncommon mod. Easy to do and it handled the weight better. The primary clutch looks like a Salsbury 815/816. Aluminum hub - 815, steel hub - 816. I'm not sure why it has 2 sprockets on the jackshaft but they look different, maybe a 9 and a 10t for a quick change. That thing is gonna have a load of power. Piped 340as engines are in the 50hp range. These things get you from 0 to holy crap in just a couple seconds. Been there done that!
I read this to my husband. He says he's looking to get to holy crap ASAP!

wjustice

I read this to my husband. He says he's looking to get to holy crap ASAP!
Heh, well watch and be careful! As far as to the speed, they can probably get to70-80mph maybe more. It depends on the gearing and tire size. The engines are fairly low rpm as far as 2 strokes go. Before I get screamed at, they will turn to around 7000rpm and the AS maybe 9000rpm or so but make decent torque. Newer 2 strokes can easily turn much higher. Given the rpm with gearing and tires puts it in the 70-80 range. The speed sensation is high because you are closer to the ground then most people are used to.
Original parts are hard to come by as the companies have been out of business for a while. Salsbury(clutch), Holton(diff), Kolher/CCW are gone. Others like brake parts have not been made for years. Info is sparse and here is one of the best. I have some limited info available from an original 1974 dealers book. Just ask and I can see what I have.
My suggestions - Brakes ya gotta stop! Check the front wheel bearings the were often cheap wheelbarrow types. Check the diff! Everyone one I have seen is dry or soo gummed up its not funny. Clean it and relube (I've been using bentonite). Have fun!

Thanks wjustice! I'll let you know what we find as soon as we get there. First order of business is to install a throttle cable (missing) as right now it takes two people and you gotta work the carbs manually to run it. That will be done in the next 2 days (rain/snow in the forecast may have us busy) and then we'll check brakes, diff, clutch operation.

We'd like to test drive it this week. The only problem with that is, we live in a dense urban area. Our street is 19 feet wide with parking on both sides and our lot is 50x105 with a behemoth garage and pool in the back. We'll probably trailer it somewhere after a cursory drive around here. That way we can see what it really does! Very exciting!

The Trike in my Avatar was set up to run with the Ford Falcon 13 inch wheels and Gates Sand Commander tires. That trike would do real close to 100 MPH but only on hard packed power line roads. And it was a very scary ride if you hit a whoop tee do it would be all the excuse needed to shut it down to a more reasonable speed. I rolled that trike once in front of my store and the name of Killer was taken more serious.

Killer

The Trike in my Avatar was set up to run with the Ford Falcon 13 inch wheels and Gates Sand Commander tires. That trike would do real close to 100 MPH but only on hard packed power line roads. And it was a very scary ride if you hit a whoop tee do it would be all the excuse needed to shut it down to a more reasonable speed. I rolled that trike once in front of my store and the name of Killer was taken more serious.
Wow, I'll bet it was!!!

wjustice

I should have 2 videos up.but we never filmed it. On my first run I puttered around the yard a bit then opened it up. It went over a small dip and pulled the front wheel off the ground as it came out of it. I wasn't exactly straight and almost ran into the street on front of a car. My wife saw and wasn't too happy. The second was when I came around my neighbors garage. It was a slight grade, I was in a slight left turn and when I passed the end of the garage and the grade dropped off.....well the not bolted down seat came off. Yes my.butt was in that seat. I went about 20 feet on my.butt. The trike went about a 100ft across the road in front of a car. It ended up upsidedown still running when I got to it. I thank god there is no video of that!

Last edited:

james c

i cant remember the ratio now, the oil was some synthetic racing oil. i havent ridden the trike since then but did adjust the ratio and it cleared up. makes me wanna pull it out and fire it up? what do you think these guys would say?

looking at these guys gives me the creeps!
this is my house also

I do feel your pain James and it is hard to find a place that is suitable for the Tri-Sport's noise and speed. Gone are the pay for play parks of the 1970's and the races on the High Deserts north of Los Angeles. Pismo Beach was always fun and of course El Mirage for checking out that top end. we didn't have the GPS accuracy and you know how bench racing goes. LOL Steve :scooter:

We were thinking of taking ours to "bike night" at the local NHRA track. They have it once a week in summer but I don't know if they're even open right now. Then we could get it timed.

Awesome trike jamesc! I actually did see that on Youtube when I first joined here, just didn't know it was you. That helped some in our identification.