Anyone ever broke the 12star bolts on ARC rods??

I was using a Torque Wrench that I rented from Autozone (in/lb) following ARC's directions. Before I even got to the 60lbs it asks you to torque before doing the 20lb increments to get to the full 150, one of the bolts broke!! I was able to get the hood part off but the bolt is stuck in the rod part of the assembly. DAMNIT. I don't want to pay another $60 bucks for a new rod, can I drill it out and use another bolt? Does anyone know what size threads are required? Does it HAVE to be the 12 star head? :censure::censure::censure::censure::censure::doah:

definitely wasn't cross threaded. I made sure they were tightened all the way down by hand before I started with the wrench and they both went in with ease all the way down to the head. cripes....

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
I have had the washer break before, but never the bolt. It would to have just been bad luck, or you was doing it wrong. 170 inch pounds, or 14.2 foot pounds. If your off by 10 inch pounds, or half a foot pound it doesn't matter. It will still work perfectly.

Yes I used moly lube and for the record, I mis-spoke...I have a wrench that i set to 60 in/lbs. NOT ft/lbs. Broke before the wrench even clicked at the 60in/lbs mark. Unless the wrench was faulty. It was brand new though...

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
Just send it back to ARC. They should replace it.
I had one ARC rod that came with really bad bearings. They wasn't scuffed up, they where cut wrong on the machine. I told them to think about it, if this happen to me. That machine maybe made at least 100 of them before the problem was fixed.

I called Tom at ARC on my lunch break and explained the scenario. He doesn't even want me using that rod anymore. Even though I ordered some new bolts, he would rather me send him the rod and he'll send a new one, as some of you said he would. He's curious to inspect the rod and bolt that sheared, and i'm curious to hear his findings.

that's a super deal that Arc is doing. Wish i had asked this question a year ago. Same thing happened but instead of replacing the rod I replaced the bolt. Good question and an even more top notch response from Tom.

I called Tom at ARC on my lunch break and explained the scenario. He doesn't even want me using that rod anymore. Even though I ordered some new bolts, he would rather me send him the rod and he'll send a new one, as some of you said he would. He's curious to inspect the rod and bolt that sheared, and i'm curious to hear his findings.
That's a great response and typical of what I hear about Tom.

vette66_00

Not saying that your Autozone dose not have one but Autozone here does not have any inch/lbs torque wrenches for rent. There is not even a SKU# for one...Only the LBS one.

Double check and make sure you have a inch/lbs torque wrench. For $10 and a Harbor Freight near you, you could have your own.