ARCO Project

I'm starting this Arco project with just frame and forks.
Estimated completion date: Jan or Feb 2012.

This Arco won't be restored to "all original" condition but will be modified to fit my needs.

I will be adding a Tecumseh 5.5 HP ohv rescued from a dead pressure washer. The original gas tank, air cleaner, and muffler will be removed.

Completed the aluminum gas tank made from 2 Chevy S-10 AC Drier Tanks.
Made some mounting brackets from 3 1/2" muffler clamps and welded in some tabs so the hose clamps will have something to hang on to.

I plan to weld on a new engine plate, adjustable jackshaft plates, etc..etc.. in the next few weeks.

Tank looks good.Where did you get the fuel cap and bung?
From Ebay:
New Coyote-Gear Aluminum Gas Tank Weld On Filler Neck With Chromed Vented Cap | eBay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-8-NPT-Fem...pt=Race_Car_Parts&vxp=mtr&hash=item4842a5ceb6

I kinda wish I could afford the smaller size , pop-up motorcycle filler nozzle but these larger ones were way cheaper.
They do make smaller weld-in nozzle necks but the caps are not vented and I wanted a vented, anti-surge production cap.

Last edited:

jland

ARCO Kickstand

I have a frame like the ARCO you are working on. would you mind posting a photo of how the kickstand is attached to the frame. The kickstand I have swings freely past 180 degrees and doesn't support the bike. Hoping I can see something to help my issue.

oldfatguy

This the bottom of the engine plate from the ARCO that I'm working on. The kick stand has a flat part that is welded to the bottom of the engine plate. There is a spring inside the round part that the arm goes into.

Hmmm, a few of my Arco frames have the flat steel kickstand. How about a pic of the one your working on?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I have a frame like the ARCO you are working on. would you mind posting a photo of how the kickstand is attached to the frame. The kickstand I have swings freely past 180 degrees and doesn't support the bike. Hoping I can see something to help my issue.
I would if I could. Over the weekend I cut out the kickstand, engine plate, and scrub brake. My original kickstand was missing the spring and might of had some type of post sheared off or missing too. (pretty thrashed)

oldfatguy

this is what the original ARCO disc brake looks like if you are thinking of adding one. The bracket is just a square plate with two holes in it to attach the caliper

I would if I could. Over the weekend I cut out the kickstand, engine plate, and scrub brake. My original kickstand was missing the spring and might of had some type of post sheared off or missing too. (pretty thrashed)
Looking at you original pic, yours definitely had the stamped steel kickstand like many of mine and my fathers. I can try and get you a pic this weekend, but that would be the first I'll get down there.

This past week I cut out the scrub brake, kickstand, and old engine plate.
Will be welding in adjustable jackshaft plates.

Painted the Tecumesh engine. Had a local decal shop cut out an old "Tecumseh Indian" decal in silver. After I applied the decal to the engine, I top coated with many coats of clear. Bought a carb filter adapter from OldMiniBikes and added small K&N Filter.

I removed the internal governor inside the engine but kept the outside linkage. I added a throttle stop to the linkage so I won't over-rev the engine and have a return spring hooked up down below.

Next up....More parts to order and welding needs to get done.

Last edited:
The last few weeks I've been working on trying to sort out this Arco front end with new bushings and fork spring.
I drilled out the well worn and enlarged 1/2" fork bolt hole to a larger 5/8".
The bronze bushings I purchased had a 5/8" ID and 1" OD.
Unfortunately, The ID of my fork tube was about .94" so the bushings 1" OD had to be machined down to fit. A local machine shop charged me only $25 to do that. The place is pretty much closed down and the owner is semi-retired but still does small jobs.
I bought a small block chevy valve spring for the lower fork spring and found some retaining washers that worked out perfect.

This is the part where I got into a bar fight and won!

The original handlebars were slightly bent and only 19 1/2" wide. They weren't wide enough for my liking and didn't feel comfortable. I also wanted the option to be able to adjust -and- fold down the handlebars so I can transport this minibike in the back of my car. So off came the handlebars! Oh, the horror!

I purchased a set of bmx bike knee-saver type handlebars called "Bar Fight". no...really!
4 PIECE BARFIGHTS

They were 28" wide and I cut them down to 24" wide. Also purchased new bar clamps.

Arco's original foot pegs were very narrow and not very functionable. So I cut off what little pegs were there and inserted a steel rod. I'll be using some bonanza style pegs. I'm gonna wait until I get wheels and tires mounted before I decide on the final length of the peg rod and foot pegs and weld it in.

Up Next: I need to buy some wheels and tires and mount them up so I can finish mocking up the frame.
Hopefully OldMiniBikes will be having a Thanksgiving Weekend sale on 6" wheels and tires! :thumbsup:
I want to get the all welding done soon and get this thing out to powdercoat.

Last edited:
Also, I realized last week that I should have drilled out the rivets on the engine shroud and "re-clocked" the recoil so that pull starting while sitting on the mini would be easier. The engine was originally on a pressure washer and the position of the pull start was positioned for the pressure washer, not a mini.
I put so many layers of paint on that shroud that I know it won't come apart without cracking the paint. At this time I'm just gonna leave it alone. :shrug:

jrzmac

Also, I realized last week that I should have drilled out the rivets on the engine shroud and "re-clocked" the recoil so that pull starting while sitting on the mini would be easier. The engine was originally on a pressure washer and the position of the pull start was positioned for the pressure washer, not a mini.
I put so many layers of paint on that shroud that I know it won't come apart without cracking the paint. At this time I'm just gonna leave it alone. :shrug:

that sucks. gonna be tough to start the bike while standing in the front of it! also giving it gas and pulling the rope at the same time is gonna be a bitch!!!!

buckeye

That is one cool build. You are gutsy cutting stuff off, but even better at replaceing and making it yours.
Going to be real cool complete.

That is one cool build. You are gutsy cutting stuff off, but even better at replaceing and making it yours.
Going to be real cool complete.
Thanks.
Yhea, it's a little scary cutting stuff off. I sure wouldn't do it if I had a rarer or more complete mini.
It was kinda tough to find handlebars that kinda flowed well with the lower forks. These were the 3rd set of handlebars that I purchased off of ebay. The first two had styling issues that kinda bugged me.