ARCO Project

Today I dropped off the frame and other parts to the powdercoaters. Decided to go with a blue/lavender color. I was going to go with something with more metallic but the color I picked just glowed. I think it's sprayed with a silver base, then color. Almost looks like a candy. Kinda looks like sample below but maybe a little more blue:

Also, the 72T rear sprocket blank I ordered came in. My original plan was to enlarge the center hole and mount the sprocket onto a Azusa brake drum platform that's made for the azusa-lite wheels, but it turned out to be not tall enough and too flimsy.
Instead I used a bushing (1"OD 5/8"ID) to center the sprocket, then I drilled the 3 mounting holes. I'm having some bigger and wider 1 1/4" spacers machined to properly space the sprocket.

Test fitted a little 2 stroke engine onto this frame. I'm still using the ohv tecumseh for this project but this little Kohler will be used for a future project.

Last edited:
The powdercoater finished up all my parts. The final assembly begins. :hammer: I should have this money pit completed in a few weeks.

Last edited:
Thanks guys.
I really liked the color that Outlaw17's had done on his engine shroud (He posted pics on page 3 of this thread). So I decided to go with it. I also noticed yesterday that the frijole project build by peekster looks to be the same color too. Must be a real popular color.

looks awesome! great color! it is very similar to the engine tin on my arco. very nice. cant wait to see it back together. the pics on page 3 of my arco was when it was almost complete. at that time i was still building the fuel tank. the tank is complete and on the bike with all the fuel hose ran. just took it up the street for the first time. ran great. here is a couple pics with the aluminum fuel tank i built mounted on.

Finished

The Tecumseh engine is running kinda bad so I couldn't ride it for more than about 20 feet. Carb is real finikity on this Tec! If I get real pissed, I'll drop this engine and buy a 6.5 clone.

I'm just glad I'm finally done for the moment besides some carb tinkering.

buckeye

Dude the is a fine looking project you did. What's that little scratch on the downtube fron.
Naaaw, no scratch, nice job.
Tell about the header mufler set up. Is that chrome?

Dude the is a fine looking project you did. What's that little scratch on the downtube from.
Naaaw, no scratch, nice job.
Tell about the header muffler set up. Is that chrome?
It's a ceramic coating.
I had the muffler pipe, OldMiniBikes bracket, and fork spring done at the same time. Looks like a polished aluminum. Performance coatings is only about 15 minutes from my home and pretty reasonable prices.
www.performancecoatings.com

I wasn't sure I'd love the look of the handlebars but I've got to say they look pretty nice on there. Congratulations on a really great looking bike!

Wow that turned out fantastic. :thumbsup: Nice work, it really paid off. Love the color by the way it really goes together good. :thumbsup:

Thanks guys for the nice words and all the help this forum gave me along the way! I learned alot from this forum and from the answers given to my newb questions.

Ive been waiting for these pics!!! AWESOME!!!:thumbsup::scooter:
what kind of carb are you running? what seems to be the issue?
Just the stock carb with governor removed.
Tonight I played with different float levels with not much luck.
It's really hard starting cold. I turned up the idle screw and I'm able to get it started it on it's milk crate stand, but it runs for only about 4 seconds and dies.

Earlier today I was able to get it to idle real nice (after it was warmed up for about 10 minutes at a higher idle on it's stand). It seemed to rev find too and I thought everything was good. Then I tried to take it for a test ride and got about 15-20 feet where it died out. This happened 3-4 times.

I ran this engine on the bench a few months back and it was cold blooded then too but seemed to rev fine (with no load on it). The carb has been cleaned in the past so it's not gunked up.

I've never had much luck with Tecumseh's my whole life and swore I'd never buy another one. This one was sorta dropped in my lap for cheap so I'm trying to work with it.

jrzmac

Thanks guys for the nice words and all the help this forum gave me along the way! I learned alot from this forum and from the answers given to my newb questions.

Just the stock carb with governor removed.
Tonight I played with different float levels with not much luck.
It's really hard starting cold. I turned up the idle screw and I'm able to get it started it on it's milk crate stand, but it runs for only about 4 seconds and dies.

Earlier today I was able to get it to idle real nice (after it was warmed up for about 10 minutes at a higher idle on it's stand). It seemed to rev find too and I thought everything was good. Then I tried to take it for a test ride and got about 15-20 feet where it died out. This happened 3-4 times.

I ran this engine on the bench a few months back and it was cold blooded then too but seemed to rev fine (with no load on it). The carb has been cleaned in the past so it's not gunked up.

I've never had much luck with Tecumseh's my whole life and swore I'd never buy another one. This one was sorta dropped in my lap for cheap so I'm trying to work with it.
I dont suppose those new ohv type engines have any adjustment screws on them do they? like under the carb bowl nut? or on the side, opposite of the fuel inlet? even if not, theres still things that need to be really cleaned out. obviously on the main jet holding the bowl on theres a hole or two there that needs to be really clean. and I think theres actually a secret jet, behind some plastic round piece where the idle adjustment needle used to be. theres a jet in there that you can unscrew. that thing has tiny holes that need to be blasted clean also! the engine will never run right if these parts aren't cleaned out good! this place shows that type of carb, and where all the holes and jets are. Disassembly, Cleaning and Repair of Tecumseh Carb 640017