Baja Mini Bike Modifications

Hi,

I have been building this Baja Mini Bike for the last two years. It started out like all the rest…., slow and bumpy! Still, it “looked” as though it could go places so the modifications began.

The gas cap leaked…, even with the Baja Motorsports replacement. So, I found a new gas tank to replace the fake one.

Then, I tried out the Torque Converter…, which I liked in the beginning. The governor was removed and new valve springs installed. New exhaust and intake followed as well as a modified carb. Now this bike could do a wheelie and was quite fast…., so I now needed front brakes!

I modified the header to go under the seat and the air intake to place the air filter under the tank and away from my leg. After a pretty good burn to my hand, I also added a heat shield on the header.

By this time, I was riding through some rough terrain and some pretty good hills…., which burned out Torque Converter belts in a hurry. So, I went back to the standard clutch. Now I have two Max Torque clutches with a green and black spring .Soon I will also have a variety of B type sprockets for the jack shaft so I can change ratio while out on a ride. So far, it’s the best I can think of with no gears to shift.

I wanted to be able to carry tools and with the idea of changing ratio on the trail, the useless gas tank was there for the taking. I will fill it with magnets to keep the tools from bouncing around.

Now, I have just completed the suspension. The front has longer struts from a Yamaha. The rear has ATV shocks. There is now 12” of ground clearance and the ride is really great!

DSC03118.JPG DSC03119.JPG DSC03120.JPG DSC03121 - Copy.JPG DSC03121 - Copy.JPG

Sorry Guys, I am new to this forum. I had uploaded pics when I posted but can't seem to find them.

Going out for a ride today. I will put it thru the paces for the first time since the rear suspension.

Hey DeeCoy, welcome to OldMiniBikes! You been busy I see. I don't know why, but your minibike really resonates with me and that is my least favorite Baja model. Nice mods, I like what you did with the gas tank, it all looks very beefy and solid. Glad you found us:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Thanks jbrocks. I just returned from a ride and it held up very well with the bumps and mud. The ride is still too bouncy so I will move the seat back some more. I did loose the jack shaft nut and key somewhere though and found myself stranded in the mud pit. Just one more thing to keep as a spare on the trail!

This did help me to decide that I will be having the jack shaft machined to fit 5/8" sprockets (easy to find) instead of the 11/16" standard which are hard to find.