Band Brake melt down

Ratbike

Does anyone make a band brake that doesn't use rubber for the pad on the inside?? Made a clutch brake... worked great at first but after a few passes the rubber begins to melt. Any ideas would be awesome!

Last edited:
Where did you buy it?

None of mine are rubber, some might be good o'l asbestos. you can buy a new one or have it lined. :thumbsup:

Ratbike

Thanks Legendtx, I think that will work as they also have a 4 1/2 " which is what I need. What kind of material is the pad made of ??

In the parts books it don't say what the material is but it works ! Probably will kill your California lab Rats with Cancer but everything does LOL . I would bet GTO hit the nail on the head saying Asbestos. I inhaled enough Asbestos in the Navy Shipyards in Bremerton, Wash to kill a bunch of Lab Rats . Steve :scooter:

Asbestos was the best crap that ever came out of the ground,,, but like everything good, it's very bad for you.

I was certified and used to do survey's for asbestos abatement when the clean up bug hit and while getting certified was told one thimble full thrown in a gym could possibly kill you. in most cases it doesn't show up for 20+ years until your body rejects it. It is a terrible why to go.

most schools. buildings, ships, cars, and homes where full of it up until the late 70's. if you have an old house you probably have it somewhere (like pipes, furnace, popcorn ceilings) so don't disturb it!

The stuff killed everyone in the places where it was mined and the workers took it home and killed the family too , it's killed many a sailor and plumber so it's serous stuff. :doah:

The band on my mini is asbestos, When I clean up the dust from it I wear gloves, and carefully doit outside, and throw the stuff away in a bag, I hate it But damn does it stop good, and last long

Asbestos was never talked about in the Navy boiler rooms. The word would come down from our petty officers that you have to have 6 or 7 big 1200 pound system steam valves out and hoisted out of the boiler room before you can go home that night. We used old axes and Hatchets to remove the 4 to 5 inches of raw asbestos it was like a huge cloud of the stuff no masks no warning it went everywhere. We even had spare valve wraps that we used as pillows when we would catch a nooner up on top of the big lube oil tank. It's a wonder I am not dead from it . I also did the asbestos testing I collected the Cachets and set up the clean side of abatement sites.
Being a HVAC service tech and Operating engineer for over 45 years I have had my share of asbestos encounters. I say treat it with respect and enjoy the knowelege the
U S Navy never shared with any of the black gang.
Steve :scooter:

i used to work on the sub base in Conn. me and a few of my fellow co-workers had to remove all the old insulation off the roof of the fire trainer we worked in. we worked on the steam systems too, alot of shady looking "insulation" around there. i wonder how much i came in contact with?

my friend's dad died from mesothelioma because of asbestos. i believe he was in the Navy and came in contact with a lot of it while working on ships.

My mom worked in the Kaiser shipyard in Portland during WWII as a welder building Liberty ships. She said there were big piles of fluffy asbestos that they would lounge on during cigarette breaks. The dangers of asbestos are well-documented, but she never had any problems from it. Too bad that something so useful can be so bad for you.

Mesothelioma - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia