Briggs 8hp industrial - is this a good engine?

Probably not, but if I pay the freight I would be willing to help you out so you don't have to store it!
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

It's worth at least 10$ or 2 CAN $

Oldsalt

The only real problem I can see is that the engine more than likely has a 1" output shaft. Centrifugal clutches are considerably more expensive than a 3/4". But theer is a way to get around buying the $100 clutch. Put a 3/4 bore clutch on a jackshaft. They will fit with some frame modification in a DB and, of course, lots of vintage frames. I traded a similar engine to a friend for a 250 Montessa engine. He put the Briggs in a modified DB. A lot more powerful that you would expect. I'm sorry I traded...that DB is that cool and fast. At last count two people have looped it.

Neck

Growing up is optional
When you weigh close to 250 lbs, the extra torque is nice, throw in a torq-a-verter and it makes for a real nice rider

Neck

Growing up is optional
I'm just bustin' your chops :freakout: :laugh:[/QUOTE]

And your so Damn good at it too!! Glad to see somebody is paying attention. Problem is I'm too damn lazy to go out and take pic's. That was just a trial fit, in my pics is the whole project but I didn't take a final shot! I raced this bike at Ventura Fairgrounds last season, and I'm in the process of mounting a Yamaha GT80 tank on it now. When I get that on I'll take a final shot.

But it was totally worth it. Right?
Yea its a great motor. Tons of power and top end with the TAV. I just dont like the fit. It takes up too much room to be able to use my original rear fender. I have the kind with the Tec style carb so I can use a seperate tank.Other than its size its awesome. And mine is a 3/4 shaft too:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Well, I got that badboy home and secured tonite. It IS brand new, no carbon in muffler, looked down sparkplug hole and sparkly clean. Can't wait to rip.:scooter:

Oldsalt

Here is before and after pics of my A-R. It was in a field of all grass and was hit by a tractor. So I didn't feel that bad about chopping on it. To get the bigblock engine to fit, and still be able to get my feet on the pegs, the frame was lengthened 4 inches. To get the height needed to comfortably install the engine 2-1/2 inches was added. It runs a TAV and is a handful. My eldest son keeps it in the truck shop where he works and the guys use it to travel down the street to the main office. Using a big block generally allows the performance to be really good with out modifying the engine or even [especially using a TAV] removing the governor. Can you see the bigblock Briggs lurking under the bench in the background?

Last edited: