Build-Off '16 RuppChopperPaul "Putting the Grrr in Swinger Trail, Baby" Vintage Class

My entry is a very, very rough and all original (down to the November 1971 date coded headlight) 1972 JC Penney (Rupp) Swinger Trail brought back to it's former glory.

Right now, I plan on 4 slight deviations from original that at a glance to the untrained eye will still look correct.

1) the Grrr will will be a HS50 Tecumseh disguised as an original HS40 (who doesn't want 25% more horsepower?)

2) front fender, and headlight bucket will be painted blue instead of chrome (running out of money and paint is cheaper than chrome)

3) having gas tank decals made with red instead of the purple (red, white and blue on a minibike just seems more patriotic and looks better than purple, white and blue)

4) lastly using DOT approved tires since I am going to try and get a tittle for my baby (tire tread look similar to the Rupp Trials tires)

Now on to the photos...

These are the parts that I will be using from the original bike, all others (except for the engine) are too far gone to use.

I will be combining a number of new and used items for my build, and will have pictures in the next day or two.

Paul

I finally started my build.

I stripped my headlight bucket completely in about 2-1/2 hours with a razor blade.

The first picture was 1 to 1-1/2 hours of time in.

I forgot to take a picture before I started. :hammer:

I stripped everything but the markings in the little round circle on the backside.

This will be painted gas tank color, not rechromed.

Last edited:
So now I can start some real work...

First round of stripping the gas tank and fenders, debating what I need media blasted and what I can just strip/sand down as far as parts go.

strip1.jpg

strip2.jpg

Last edited:
Slowly making some progress...

Stripped the front tree and swing arm by hand.

Had the frame media blasted since there was a good amount of surface rust. Also had the fenders blasted even though I stripped them by hand since both had a good amount of rust on the undersides.

Disassembled the two wheels I will be using and got them ready for chrome plating.

I am going to end up having the headlight brackets, shock spring holders and rims chrome plated.

The fenders, headlight bucket, and gas tank will have the bodywork done by myself but I will have to send them out to get painted (time and Michigan weather are not on my side right now).

Attachments

Last edited:
I will be starting the lacing but I have a friend who is a auto mechanic whose real passion is motorcycles...so he will probably bail me out!

Also I am really trying to get my build done before April 24th (a month plus earlier than the deadline here) for a bicycle/mini bike show in Ann Arbor/Saline Michigan...so I am under the gun.

Paul
Nice looking bunch of parts! I wouldn't even know how to re-lace those wheels even with a manual:laugh:

Progress is slow...because of snow!

It's hard working and getting excited to go out into an unheated garage this time of year.

Thinking about farming out the frame painting to keep this moving.

Just a couple of welds to a cracked seat pan, front fork stop, and oval kickstand and swing arm holes.

swingseat.jpg
seat.jpg
kickstand.jpg
neckseat.jpg
Snow.jpg

Last edited:
Looking good.

I hear you on the heated garage thing. I too live in Michigan and the winters suck! What I do is usually put off painting as long as I can since you can't paint at 12 degrees F. You can always do other stuff like cleaning and polishing and rebuilding..lol