Build-Off '16 RuppChopperPaul "Putting the Grrr in Swinger Trail, Baby" Vintage Class

It's been a month (or so) since I posted, and progress is slower than I hoped.

But in the time since my last posting I have...

1) disassembled my wheels and sent the rims to the chrome plater to be redone
2) dropped off my gas tank and two fenders to the painter
3) dropped my frame off at the powder coater to be evaluated and get a quote
4) done lots of basic cleaning of parts/nuts and bolts
5) bought lots of new parts...only big thing left is the exhaust system...baffled or straight pipe from Black Widow Motorsports??? How noisey do I want to go???

Pictures...
1) nice, clean parts
2 & 3) engine on the left is the original HS40 (running condition unknown) and it's replacement a good running HS50 that is awaiting a lighting coil swap
4-7) my welding prowess...it's been at least 5 years since I welded anything and had to borrow a welder
8 & 9) hole drilling...I sweated out the swing arm holes so bad I thought I would have a breakdown...worried about getting them aligned properly and the swing arm straight...toughest two holes I have ever drilled

Attachments

Got the frame back from the powder coater last weekend.

Done in gloss black.

Need to get a new bushing put into the swing arm, then I can put some parts on and feel like I am making progress! :clap:

frame.jpg

Finally received my shroud from minibikin', not his fault.

Check out the map with the route it took from Pennsylvania to Michigan.

The green line shows the route it should have taken and the red line is it's actual trip!

It went through El Paso Texas...no wonder the post office is losing money!

shroud.jpg Longdistance.jpg

Last edited:
I am getting together another cool thing for my Swinger...a speedometer set up.

The drive unit came from Blackwidow Motorsports.

The cable off of eBay from a guy in Wisconsin

And the speedometer unit is for a vintage Vespa scooter also from eBay, I was hesitant since it was coming from India...surprisingly it came just about as fast as my shroud from Pennsylvania.

I am putting it in a chromed moped headlight bucket that I got from Old School Mini Bikes.

Speedo.jpg

headlightbucket.jpg

Looking like Christmas...picked up my rims from the chrome plater today!

CromeRimsClose.jpg CromeRims.jpg

Dropped off a bunch of stuff for powdercoating, including the hubs.

Waiting on spokes from Blackwidow Motorsports.

Right now my fenders and gas tank are in painter heck...guy did a half @$$ job...

Last edited:
Cleaned and rebuilt the lighting coil with new coil/plug wire, points, condenser...pretty much everything that could be replaced.

I never realized how many part this darn bike has!

LightingCoil.jpg

wrapping up the engine cleaning...I am about done...all the paint that I could remove came off with just a little bit here and there remaining.

I just need to wipe it down with some acetone and spray on the Duplicolor gloss black engine paint...if the weather ever warms up.

EngineRear.jpg EngineFront.jpg

Last edited:
Falling way behind the eight ball...not sure I can make up ground before the end here.

Hope to do some serious assembly over the weekend.

But I did get most of my parts back from powder coating.

silverpowder.jpg

blackpowder.jpg