Buying Torque Converter

I want to buy a torque converter for my Honda clone 6.5 HP engine. Made by Lifan, I got it from Harbor Freight.

Anyway, I saw what looks like a nice converter on the Bullet Lines web site.

Supposedly, the Bullet Lines converter has a little larger belt than the others, and the safety cover is included. It seems to sell for less money than others.

What do you think about this?

I would like to install the engine and converter in an old Totegoat, or other large minibike if I can find one.

I hope I didn't violate any rules; this is my first post. Thank you.

Last edited:

RobK

I sent Bullet lines an e-mail. Their products are made in China (of course so is the clone engine). The GTC units and the resurected Comet brand torque converters are made in the U.S. Just food for thought.

toomanytoys

I don't know anything about those ones you are posting about.

If you want the best torque convertor that you will have no problems with buy a Comet brand.

Northentool.com stocks and carries 30 series convertors for 219.00 These are made by CPC who bought comets design. They are made in the USA, and replacement parts are available.

DZLBIKE

Welcome to OldMiniBikes! What model Gote do you have? Where in Oregon are you?
There are several OldMiniBikes members in Oregon, a bunch of good guys.

Welcome Upshifter : We have a lot of Mini Bike & Trail Bike enthusiast here on the OldMiniBikes. And Oregon is a great place to have a forest crawler or rock climber even a beach cruiser.
I have a Cross Breed Bike I will be selling soon a Tule Trooper with a Minni Burro front end with the stamped in profile of a Burro. So this Trooper gives you the low speed gearing like the Tote Gotes then shift the James two speed gear box to High and take on the moderate hills.
Steve :scooter:

I don't have a ToteGoat yet, but I'm looking to find one, or another large minibike.

I live in Waldport, OR.

I'll buy the American made torque converter for sure.

I'm probably the oldest one on this forum. I had an original Doodle Bug in 1949 or 1950. I believe they were called "Hiawatha Doodle Bug" in those days.

Yet, in those days we couldn't own big motorcycles, like Harleys, because they were too expensive. Everyone wanted a Mustang (not the car, the bike) in those days, or even a Cushman Eagle. The Mustang sounded like a real motorcycle, much like a BSA single.

I had an old Cushman in about 1970.

For me, the amount of fun is the same whether it's a big motorcycle, or a minibike. The fun is just different, that's all. The minibike is a time machine for old guys like me, it takes us back to a long time ago. Nothing else has the same sound and feel to it. :scooter: :scooter: :scooter: :thumbsup:

Currently, I own 2 Baja DR90s, 1 Honda CT70, one old Honda CT 200 (which were the first Trail 90s), 1 Honda Spree, and a Yamaha XT225 Dual Sport.

I like to do young people things, so I don't look back too much; and you won't find me hanging around the senior center either.:laugh:

I want to buy a torque converter for my Honda clone 6.5 HP engine. Made by Lifan, I got it from Harbor Freight.

Anyway, I saw what looks like a nice converter on the Bullet Lines web site.

Supposedly, the Bullet Lines converter has a little larger belt than the others, and the safety cover is included. It seems to sell for less money than others.

What do you think about this?

I would like to install the engine and converter in an old Totegoat, or other large minibike if I can find one.

I hope I didn't violate any rules; this is my first post. Thank you.
Welcome old guy Lol hell there are a bunch of old dudes here ha ha

RobK

GTC is china. comet is the only good tav.
Just to be accurate, GTC is manufactured in California, which I believe is still part of the U.S. Thought there are times I'm not so sure about that. Check out the web site. I have one on a Serengeti Puma, i.e. big, fat tire mini bike. I can't say we have that many miles on it, but we have flogged the crap out of the bike on a few occasions and the TC worked fine.

GTC Industries, Manufacturer of Go Kart Torque Converters and Clutches - About Us

Last edited:
If you plan on using the tote gote driven pulley, you will need a clutch that will work with a 7/8" wide belt. That limits you to a Comet series 40, GTC40 or a original Bonham Tote Gote clutch.