Caper Cycle Restoration.

Oldsalt

Today I picked up the reproduction decals for the forks. Looks like I got a few more than I need. The 1st pic shows a number of them. They are very close to the originals [see pic of original], ya can't tell the difference [except that mine is put on straight]. The last picture shows one stuck on the bike.

I hereby pronounce the bike finished. It's close enough to being right that I'm satisfied with it. I intend on riding it.

Last edited:
I measured the original fenders on my bike and they both measure at .167" The bead also has a Herringbone pattern pressed into it. Fenders are fully radiused at both ends. Have owned this bike over 40 years.

that old cycle is flat out cool......:pimp:

HA...try getting those fenders repro'd with the herringbone pattern embossed in the bead :doah:

that's a big ol battery box on there...what kind of battery was in it...?

It's an old add on- I'm sure it was new when first installed. The light was on the bike bike when I got it as was the rack/spring seat and kill switch. I gotta get out to the shop and look in the battery case-better be empty!:scooter:
Whew battery box was empty! I just found the original after market chain guard that was on the bike when I got it- I just had to put it back on- oh memories........
Bob

Last edited:
It's an old add on- I'm sure it was new when first installed. The light was on the bike bike when I got it as was the rack/spring seat and kill switch. I gotta get out to the shop and look in the battery case-better be empty!:scooter:
Bob
hahaha...now you won't be able to sleep...better go look now :laugh:

actually, those lantern style batteries didn't seem as prone to leaking as say a "D" cell.....those freakin things still leak today 60 years after they designed them...I see Duracell's leaking all the time.... why can't they figure out a way to stop that :confused:

Oldsalt

that old cycle is flat out cool......:pimp:

HA...try getting those fenders repro'd with the herringbone pattern embossed in the bead :doah:

The original fenders were 'beaded' using a 'Pull-Max' metal working machine. It would most often be used, it has a stationary lower 'tool' and a upper tool that vibrates up and down, to cut straight or circles in sheet metal. The beading 'dies' that replace the cutting dies are what Benny used to make that ridge. I know where the original machine is at and have [for now] given up on purchasing it [7000lbs, 440V. three phase, and all the tooling has been thrown away]. I use a single upper and lower die to form my reproductions, but as you point out the fenders should really have the herringbone bumps. Yours [in the pic] are the most obvious I have ever seen on a Caper Cycle fender. If a guy is in a real hurry and pushes the material through rapidly that is what the result will be. For nice work the material is fed at a slower pace and the 'bumps' don't show. But the Ben Hunt Mfg. shop was a glorified blacksmith shop and was very often staffed with high school kids on the production of the minibikes. I've talked to some of these guys and they just shake their heads and laugh at what went on. On the shop office door, for instance, is a big sign that says "Don't Spit On The Floor". It is still there. If some one wants non-original fenders let me know.

Oldsalt

Whew battery box was empty! I just found the original after market chain guard that was on the bike when I got it- I just had to put it back on- oh memories........
Bob
It is increadable that none came stock with chain guards! That open chain has got to have been responsible for at least a few horrible accidents. But back then people were not trained in school to believe that someone else is always responsible any and all injuries.

caper cycle

Hi, Working on a Caper Cycle need front decal and front and rear fenders.
Do you sell them? or can you tell me where to find them?
Thanks..........AL from Moscow, Idaho