Chain Tensioner or No ??

I'm in the process of assembling a Predator upgrade and a jack-shaft....

The existing chain tensioner spindle is about the same level as the sprocket on the jack-shaft but is several inches closer to the rear sprocket...so (if used as is) it makes the chain take a sharp angle up and then about level for the few inches to the shaft sprocket...

Di I really need the tensioner ?

Should I modify the position so it will work without a drastic affect on the chain angle?

Pics help. But the use of a jackshaft usually cuts the distance of the chain run in almost half. I would try it without it first. I had an issue on a Trailhorse that kept tossing the chain. I just added a jackshaft and it never did it again.

Pics help. But the use of a jackshaft usually cuts the distance of the chain run in almost half. I would try it without it first. I had an issue on a Trailhorse that kept tossing the chain. I just added a jackshaft and it never did it again.
Thanks...I'm going to be trying out some different shaft sprockets to get the best up hill performance so taking the tensioner out of the picture simplifies things...I can always do the mod if needed...

With a jackshaft there is likely no need for one, especially if it takes the chain to a sharp angle. A spring loaded tensioner is the way to go if you run one, I wore chains out so bad they would lift nearly off the sprocket but the stayed on with the sprung tensioner.