Champion 6.5 hp (Honda Clone) conrod explosion

Hey everyone, So I went up to my cottage on Friday with everything I needed to upgrade my little dirt bug that was on its last leg. It was also my birthday and I was excited as F**k to get the thing going, after a couple hours of work me and my brother finally finished it and took it for a test ride. It worked great, Except for when my friend was riding it an hour later along side me and my brother who were on our dirt bikes, we noticed he had stopped quite a ways back from us, we road over to see what happened and he pointed at two large holes in the side of the engine casing. After bringing it home and dissembling the entire engine, we could right away see the problem. The connecting rod had exploded into pieces. I was quite upset to say the least, I can't seem to grasp what I did wrong. How is it that in a couple hours of use the conrod just exploded? I put 10w30, this was also a brand new engine. I'm afraid of buying another engine, not sure how my luck is lol. Any help would be nice.

Last edited:
I can't I bought if off a guy, it was in storage but it was sealed although there was a lot of rust on one side on the flywheel. I connected the throttle to the governor arm, so it should have been fine. Is it safe to assume this is not normal for a honda clone?

trinik7597

You connected the throttle to the govenor arm. Something tells me your answer has something to do with that
probably not :thumbsup: removing the governor really has nothing to do with the control arm and champions are good clones :thumbsup: just pick up a predator on sale or with a coupon that way if it blows up you can return it

First rule of mucking with the governor isssss... not to muck with the governor.

Sorry to hear that. Go buy a predator, buy the billet rod & flywheel, do a governor delete, and get to work (and you can use parts from the Champion to beef up the HF engine, like the rockers, etc.)

GET TO WORK! :thumbsup:

I connected the Throttle arm to the governor arm with a coat hanger wire. The governor arm was still direct connect to the carb. Is that what I did wrong? If so how did you guys do your throttle setups. Either way the rod shouldn't have blown that quick ><.

rmm727

If you connected the throttle directly to the governor arm instead of the hand throttle lever then you essentially bypassed the governor.

I connected the Throttle arm to the governor arm with a coat hanger wire. The governor arm was still direct connect to the carb. Is that what I did wrong? If so how did you guys do your throttle setups. Either way the rod shouldn't have blown that quick ><.
I bet it was moving on pretty good ! :wink:

Ok I think you guys might be right, My throttle setup might have bypassed the governor. It was my first time doing the swap so I just the throttle the only way I knew how. I couldn't find how other people do it. Below is a pic of how I set it up.

That's too sad, I have a champion on my bike. Good well built motors.
That must have been revving like a son of a gun.
Don't know why you couldn't find info on throttle hookup.

Tyler, these things happen.. this engine is one we loaned to a friend to race on his racing kart in the open/outlaw class. This is one of our clone engines that literally blew its top off ! Rod , piston , crank, cam and flywheel were all ok and salvaged. This was a engine turning 8000 rpm's and the driver walked away, because he had good parts. :wink:

Holy crap, I'd like to hear what that sounded like.

It really sucks because I pick up that engine sealed in the box for 85$ its gonna be hard to find one for that price now ><

Plus I read this article "http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm" which probably didn't help with the hole governor issue.