comet tav2 issues

I just tried my mini bike with a comet tav2 and it feels like I lost alot of top end and the motor does not rev up as high anymore. It picks up the front end a little on flat ground, and when going up hill on dirt it easily wheelies. Is there any way to increase my top end to make it rev up to 5000 rpms again ?

joekd

Change the spring on the driver, I had this same problem on mine, as soon as I changed to the yellow spring it was back to normal revs again

george3

I just tried my mini bike with a comet tav2 and it feels like I lost alot of top end and the motor does not rev up as high anymore. It picks up the front end a little on flat ground, and when going up hill on dirt it easily wheelies. Is there any way to increase my top end to make it rev up to 5000 rpms again ?
post a pic of your bike.

In the threads it seems like they are trying to increase the engagement rpm. I am happy with the engagement rpm at 2200 rpms. So if I switch to the yellow spring my bike will rev out to 5000 rpms?

joekd

In the threads it seems like they are trying to increase the engagement rpm. I am happy with the engagement rpm at 2200 rpms. So if I switch to the yellow spring my bike will rev out to 5000 rpms?
I can only speak form person experience but when my motor was hooked to a centri clutch setup it spun 6000+ easily

Put it on my bike with the TAV, could barely see 4K rpms, switched the front garters and placement of OEM driven spring, can now get back to 6000+

Took a few rides to get used to the new engagement but once I did I love it

joekd

Yes, the lower engagement point was causing the TAV to try to force it into "overdrive" too soon holding back the motor, moved it up and now the TAV works correctly through the whole RPM range

I was skeptical also but read a couple threads here on it and decided to try it, well worth the couple bucks I spent on the springs

Makes more sense now thanks Joe my bike should be doing around 30 mph at 3300 rpms which is the engagement for the yellow garter springs. I am curious as how that would be on a mini bike. Would it hit 30 mph when driver becomes engaged? Is that why it takes some getting used too?

Get this spring for the secodary.

Comet Yellow Torsion Spring : Go Karts Parts: Racing Kart Parts: Engines: Frames: Tires: Versailles, Ohio: USA: Indoor Track: Tips: Chassis: Kits: GoKart: Briggs: Yerf Dog: Manco: Comet: Torque

There are several garter springs for the primary.

Joe is liekly using the white.
I use one white spring with one stock spring and the yellow in the rear.

YOU may have a gearing issue.
You may need to use a 9 tooth rear sprocket on the TAV to get your gearing right.

This stuff takes a lot of tinkering to get right and match the engine to the clutch and bike.

Makes more sense now thanks Joe my bike should be doing around 30 mph at 3300 rpms which is the engagement for the yellow garter springs. I am curious as how that would be on a mini bike. Would it hit 30 mph when driver becomes engaged? Is that why it takes some getting used too?
Just based on personal experience if you are 30 at 33 mph and the clutch is fully open it may be holding you back.
At 40 your going tostart to need some power to overcome air as speed increases.
The engine is just about at its limits to make 7 Hp over reved to 4000.
Retarding the clutch will help.
failing this gearing needs to be adjusted.

The clutch also eats up more power than a jack shaft.
You have to take that into acount.

You could also be slipping your belt a little if you do have some extra power